The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Type 65 / Nippy Cylinder Head Gasket
Hi,
I have used the late High Compression gaskets on my Type 65 for over 20 years without problems.
It is the early Low compression gaskets that protrude into the chamber, 
The High compression gaskets fall short leaving a small void space which will fill with carbon.
If you are using a replica head you could match it to the late gasket.
I have three of the original Type 65 Solid Copper gaskets hanging in the garden shed, they have all been used and match the 9E head perfectly. I have not re annealed them for re use yet.
I am running a Ricardo replica head at the moment which I like as the engine seems smoother with it and will rev better.
I paid a whole £5 for the 9E Head as the seller thought it was a late Ruby Head. ( My father bought the Type 65 in 1982 so the Head found its rightful home )

With modern water jet cutting  once the programming has been done it should be cheap to knock out a load of the special gaskets.

Cheers Richard
I have been using normal HC gaskets with a 9E1 head and also with a Supalloy head on my 1936 Nippy. I did notice that the gasket did not ft either head perfectly, did not match the shape of the combustion chamber in the head. Somehow that doesn't seem right.
The HC Ricardo head gasket from Dave Cochrane has the same shape as the LC gasket and is not quite right either.

If a batch of "proper" Nippy/Speedy gaskets for 9E1 heads were to be made I would join in.

Back in the 1970's I used a LC gasket made of some dark grey material together with the Supalloy head. It was the only head gasket ever to have blown. I still have one but will probably never use it.

Steve
I have now ordered a normal 36/39 HC head gasket, so hopefully I'm sorted for now. I would certainly be up for joining in a special run of sports gaskets to make up the numbers if there's enough interest.
I'd be interested to know what the perceived benefits are of the solid copper gasket (apart from the fact it can be reused after annealing).
"I'd be interested to know what the perceived benefits are of the solid copper gasket (apart from the fact it can be reused after annealing)."

Better mechanical strength, and better heat transfer, a bugger to seal the water ways though!
Black Art Enthusiast
I realise not strictly on thread but has anyone any recommendations for the most suitable head gasket for the Watmough Hewitt type repro cylinder head? I've got one in the drawer which I'd like to fit at some stage.
(02-03-2018, 07:26 PM)Steve Berg Wrote: I have been using normal HC gaskets with a 9E1 head and also with a Supalloy head on my 1936 Nippy. I did notice that the gasket did not ft either head perfectly, did not match the shape of the combustion chamber in the head. Somehow that doesn't seem right.
The HC Ricardo head gasket from Dave Cochrane has the same shape as the LC gasket and is not quite right either.

If a batch of "proper" Nippy/Speedy gaskets for 9E1 heads were to be made I would join in.

Back in the 1970's I used a LC gasket made of some dark grey material together with the Supalloy head. It was the only head gasket ever to have blown. I still have one but will probably never use it.

Steve

Steve

Did you see my earlier post saying I have some "proper" Nippy/Speedy gaskets for 9E1 heads in stock?

Martin
(03-03-2018, 04:40 PM)Mark R Wrote: I realise not strictly on thread but has anyone any recommendations for the most suitable head gasket for the Watmough Hewitt type repro cylinder head? I've got one in the drawer which I'd like to fit at some stage.

My originals use a normal high compression gasket - the new ones I have seen differ internally to the ones I have however.
(03-03-2018, 06:15 PM)Martin Baker Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 07:26 PM)Steve Berg Wrote: I have been using normal HC gaskets with a 9E1 head and also with a Supalloy head on my 1936 Nippy. I did notice that the gasket did not ft either head perfectly, did not match the shape of the combustion chamber in the head. Somehow that doesn't seem right.

Steve

Steve

Did you see my earlier post saying I have some "proper" Nippy/Speedy gaskets for 9E1 heads in stock?

Martin

Martin,

I assume you didn't get my pm this week?
I wanted to get one of your gaskets from you.

Colin
(03-03-2018, 06:17 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 04:40 PM)Mark R Wrote: I realise not strictly on thread but has anyone any recommendations for the most suitable head gasket for the Watmough Hewitt type repro cylinder head? I've got one in the drawer which I'd like to fit at some stage.

My originals use a normal high compression gasket - the new ones I have seen differ internally to the ones I have however.
Many thanks Ruairidh I'll have to compare a high and low compression gasket against the replica one I have, I did think the high compression gasket may be best.
(03-03-2018, 06:15 PM)Martin Baker Wrote:

Steve

Steve

Martin

Hi Martin
Yes please, I am interested and will PM you

Steve