The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Machined core plugs
Although not original, I thought I would show you the threaded core plugs I made for my '29 cylinder block.

The correct plugs are the domed disc plugs you insert and expand with a dent in the center but sometime in the past  the previous owner had elected to tap these holes for 5/8" BPT plugs which had to be drilled out in order to gain access to the corrosion plugged cooling channels in the block. I got about a cup of rust out of the block.

I modified two modern plugs to resemble the large core plugs already in the block so that they would not look out of place.

Fiddly work but I am pleased at how they turned out.

Stephen
They look great
Yes, very nice work.
(18-02-2018, 07:16 PM)steve davidson Wrote: They look great

Hi Steve, nice work.This is a vintage block and had screw in plugs.Later blocks have the steel disc core plugs.
They look smart, but I'm wondering how you intend getting a good seal. Are you going to rely on the fibre washer alone, or something else?
I 'm thinking the threads look to be parallel rather than taper, and the face of the block doesn't look like a perfect surface on which to to get a seal.
Yes I do think a thread sealant of some description might be a good idea - something with a low shear strength so it can be undone again in the future.
(18-02-2018, 06:12 PM)Steve Bryant Wrote: Although not original, I thought I would show you the threaded core plugs I made for my '29 cylinder block.

The correct plugs are the domed disc plugs you insert and expand with a dent in the center but sometime in the past  the previous owner had elected to tap these holes for 5/8" BPT plugs which had to be drilled out in order to gain access to the corrosion plugged cooling channels in the block. I got about a cup of rust out of the block.

I modified two modern plugs to resemble the large core plugs already in the block so that they would not look out of place.

Stephen

Nice job- originally there were no plugs fitted here and this modification is very useful in keeping the block clean in this area.

Mine are fitted with square  head taper plugs - hopefully easier to remove.

Cheers Tony.
(18-02-2018, 08:32 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote: They look smart, but I'm wondering how you intend getting a good seal. Are you going to rely on the fibre washer alone, or something else?
I 'm thinking the threads look to be parallel rather than taper, and the face of the block doesn't look like a perfect surface on which to to get a seal.

Hi Colin,
i can assure you that the treads are tapered. It took me ages to find two  5/8 BPT x 19 (I  think) TPI plugs locally.   There will be thread seal applied to the threads on installation. So the fiber washer is a secondary seal. The sealing surface on the block is better than it looks too by the way.

Stephen
(18-02-2018, 10:56 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(18-02-2018, 06:12 PM)Steve Bryant Wrote: Although not original, I thought I would show you the threaded core plugs I made for my '29 cylinder block.

Stephen

Nice job- originally there were no plugs fitted here and this modification is very useful in keeping the block clean in this area.

Cheers Tony.
Tony, surprised at you saying that, I have seen numerous blocks with 2 core plugs at each end
(19-02-2018, 12:32 AM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(18-02-2018, 10:56 PM)Tony Press Wrote:

Stephen

Cheers Tony.
Tony, surprised at you saying that, I have seen numerous blocks with 2 core plugs at each end

Only two (front and back) Cylinder End Plugs BC 14 (with washers BC15) ever listed for the Cylinder monobloc.

The extra plugs are a popular modification  

Cheers, Tony.