The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to remove window winder handle.
I think you'll find that the quadrant will be OK and it's the mechanism is catching on part of the timber framing to the door when you try to wind the window back up. I had the same problem a couple of years ago and, whilst I can't remember which actual bit of the framing, that was the answer. Now you've got the handle off you should be able to remove the door card and, if like mine, all will become obvious.

Steve
(06-02-2018, 06:21 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: I think you'll find that the quadrant will be OK and it's the mechanism is catching on part of the timber framing to the door when you try to wind the window back up. I had the same problem a couple of years ago and, whilst I can't remember which actual bit of the framing, that was the answer. Now you've got the handle off you should be able to remove the door card and, if like mine, all will become obvious.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve. Have taken the door card off, and undone the mixture of slotted and pozidrive screws (!), that hold the plank with the quadrant attached, but got no further. To be continued, and hoping it may turn out as simple as you suggest!

(06-02-2018, 03:41 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: I have a pair of Hobson Perfect handles ion my RP saloon. For info the knob on the end of the lever should be free to rotate but may have seized through accumulation of dirt and/or corrosion over the years. Always a good thing in my view to have your knob in proper working order...

Was fine once I’d given it a vigorous rub with a polishing cloth.....?
I have same problem - removing the door handles, but a different handle. There's nothing at the back, but there is a notch in the rear flange of the handle, in which is a spring. Pushing it up - or down - seems to make no difference! Any ideas welcomed! Frank
It sounds like the type where the flange has to be moved along the line of the handle against the spring. It will only move one way, but once you have moved it as far as possible the handle should pull off its spindle easily. A picture of your handle would allow confirmation.
Robert Leigh

.jpg   IMG_1220.jpg (Size: 48.56 KB / Downloads: 173)
.jpg   IMG_1219.jpg (Size: 58.24 KB / Downloads: 173) Hi Robert Thanks for comments 

Will try to attach picture of handle - and mirror view of rear

PS Spring is radial to spindle - hard to see though! Looks as if it's pressing the inner edge of the flange and outer of the spindle
Rgds Frank
I hope my comments enabled you to achieve your objective. The picture is exactly as I expected, so you push the disc/flange to compress the spring and the handle will come off.
Robert
I'm sure I've read something recently about vinegar and salt bath for derusting such a mechanism which came up perfectly. Who was it? I can't find it to re-read as wanted to try similar.

Out of interest, which other handles were fitted to RPs? Were the Hobson ones the early cars and then something else fitted for the later ones?
I have encountered handles on other vintage cars that when pressing the flange in toward the door trim, a tiny loose pin is exposed. This pin is easily removed by poking it with a match or similar tool.
This looks like the RN type handle. The rear bezel / escutcheon is spring loaded and has a D shaped hole. You slide it away from the handle end and pull it off the spindle. There is a "bar" inside the hole that fits on the spindle that does the driving of the mechanism. This fits into a cut out on the end of the spindle with a spring loaded ball in it.