The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transporting Austins in vans
(01-12-2018, 06:12 PM)Martin Prior Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 05:46 PM)Alfieboy Wrote: Hello people, I've been off air for some time, but back now. I'm going to be permanently based in the Charente in France as of I hope, February/March next. I will need to transport my two RK saloons from the UK. My son has recently bought a long wheel base Transit, which he will let me use to transport my belongings but, will I be able to fit a RK saloon in it?  Confused Thanks Alf

Hi Alf.

We use an LWB Transit for business and regularly carry A7s in it.  

However, our Transit is the "medium roof" type and if we're transporting a saloon we have to put a pair of scrap wheels without tyres on the back axle of the car to clear the door head of the van.

If your son's Transit is the "high roof" model, you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks Martin, I'm not sure about the roof height, but I do have a picture of it but, senior moment, I've forgotten how to post pictures on the forum. Alf
(01-12-2018, 06:47 PM)Alfieboy Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 05:46 PM)Alfieboy Wrote: Hello people, I've been off air for some time, but back now. I'm going to be permanently based in the Charente in France as of I hope, February/March next. I will need to transport my two RK saloons from the UK. My son has recently bought a long wheel base Transit, which he will let me use to transport my belongings but, will I be able to fit a RK saloon in it?  Confused Thanks Alf

Hi Alf.

However, our Transit is the "medium roof" type and if we're transporting a saloon we have to put a pair of scrap wheels without tyres on the back axle of the car to clear the door head of the van.

Thanks Martin, I'm not sure about the roof height, but I do have a picture of it but, senior moment, I've forgotten how to post pictures on the forum. Alf

(01-12-2018, 06:47 PM)Alfieboy Wrote:

Hi Alf.

Martin - when you have the spare time, please email me on ausevenoz@gmail.com  May be able to help you further.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Not an Austin (but not far off an Ulster), so what van is this I wonder?

Attached Files
.jpg   car in van.jpg (Size: 63.28 KB / Downloads: 418)
Renault Master?
My Lads Cambridge bodied special fits in our Medium bodied Transit perfectly.
Music 
I'd like to confirm that you can get an Austin Seven in a Fiat Ducato - but you can't fit a Fordson Major!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

thanks for this inspring topic .... the Missus and I ware on the lookout for a nice low-riding / tilting flat-bed trailer for outings abroad with the Rosengart (but the. one. of. our preference would come in at some 2000€ plus VAT; that's for a new one; used ones are junk-heaps nine times out of ten and even then ridiculously priced) but as we now use a Peugeot 807 to tow it (we are also re-enactors with the need for al lot of space for kit) now it's quite. obvious that what we actually need is a van that can take the Rosengart in. its belly....I'll tell the Missus as she has already repeatedly uttered her craving for a van to transport the re-enactment stuff in so it should not take. too much convincing her....
(10-12-2018, 12:41 PM)Michael D Wrote: I'll tell the Missus as she has already repeatedly uttered her craving for a van to transport the re-enactment stuff in so it should not take. too much convincing her....

Off topic but what re-enacting era are you doing?
our re enactment period: late 15th C
previously things with two-handed swords, poleaxes and armour but nowadays portraying a Master Surgeon.. not the brutal Barbour-Surgeon kind but the Educated type... you should hear me telling people about the 'de fistula in anu' treatise of Master John Arderne...
But I will also return to the Dutch 80-years war period (that can range from late 16th to mid 17th century) sometimes if called for.
Smile 
(10-12-2018, 06:08 PM)Michael D Wrote: you should hear me telling people  about the 'de fistula in anu' treatise of Master John Arderne...

I had to search 'de fistula in anu' treatise of Master John Arderne. Not for the squeamish but I bet that children love your talks  Big Grin .