The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transporting Austins in vans
At one time, I thought about taking / modifying a caravan to take the Austin, and on arrival, remove the car and carry on caravanning. My wife wasn't convinced !
A lot of A7 people these days use Motorhomes and pull a trailer with the Austin 7 on. We took the alternative approach and put the A7 inside a van and then pull our caravan.

Reasons are:

1) Motor caravans are very expensive, even second hand. A brand new caravan is 1/3 the cost of a brand new motorhome. A brand new van is 1/2 the cost of a new motorhome.
2) We already had a caravan and didn't want to part with it.
3) The van is a very useful utility vehicle. Try taking a motorcaravan to the tip, loaded with rubbish or picking up a sheet of 8' x 4' plywood in it......
4) The van can be used as an impromptu garage, dry and reasonably secure.
5) If you are moving a car alone, i.e. not towing, the van can do 70mph legally on the motorway. Could save a lot of time....

Downsides:

1) The caravan is more awkward to tow than a small car trailer, however, you can clearly see it behind you! Our caravan is heavy at 1.5 tonnes as well.
2) It takes longer to set up and dismantle the caravan/awning at the campsite but does have more living space than a motorcaravan on its own.

Any thoughts??
(11-12-2018, 05:02 PM)Parazine Wrote: A lot of A7 people these days use Motorhomes and pull a trailer with the Austin 7 on. We took the alternative approach and put the A7 inside a van and then pull our caravan.

Reasons are:

1) Motor caravans are very expensive, even second hand. A brand new caravan is 1/3 the cost of a brand new motorhome. A brand new van is 1/2 the cost of a new motorhome.
2) We already had a caravan and didn't want to part with it.
3) The van is a very useful utility vehicle. Try taking a motorcaravan to the tip, loaded with rubbish or picking up a sheet of 8' x 4' plywood in it......
4) The van can be used as an impromptu garage, dry and reasonably secure.
5) If you are moving a car alone, i.e. not towing, the van can do 70mph legally on the motorway. Could save a lot of time....

Downsides:

1) The caravan is more awkward to tow than a small car trailer, however, you can clearly see it behind you! Our caravan is heavy at 1.5 tonnes as well.
2) It takes longer to set up and dismantle the caravan/awning at the campsite but does have more living space than a motorcaravan on its own.

Any thoughts??

I use one of these...
https://www.horsedeals.com.au/listings/gooseneck-macro

For when we have long distances to go to an event. I have installed an electric winch for the Austin and on arrival the load space becomes a lounge. Can be towed behind my pickup with a ball coupling on the tray.
Good also for carting Donkeys for my wife .

[img=50x50]crop.png[/url]

Russell

Attached Files
.png   crop.png (Size: 1.93 MB / Downloads: 288)
A very good picture Russell thanks for shareing.

Bryan.
Is that an ass?
(12-12-2018, 07:00 PM)JonE Wrote: Is that an ass?

I'll take that as a compliment Jon,   and Bryan

cheers  Russell
but seriously! what is the one behind? It's not hairy like the little donkey in front...
(12-12-2018, 10:51 PM)JonE Wrote: but seriously! what is the one behind? It's not hairy like the little donkey in front...

Common term here for these animals is donkey although ass is also correct. The hairy one below is the daughter of the one behind, they are born extra cute and hairy and gradually lose it over a year or so till the summer coat is as you see the mother.
Winter coat is hairy again but only annual. 
Of coarse there are Donkeys that come from colder climes that are hairy all the time, some here in Australia but not ours.

Back to the float, these are primarily horse floats where the owners will go to a multi day show /event, and sleep over with shower, toilet and cooking facilities on board.
The Donkey bits are instantly removable and with the installation of a winch we have Austin transport for the next hub rally (er not allowed to call them rallys anymore, sounds too competitive)
  cheers  Russell
I think the little one would fit in box saloon Squeak. You say the donkey bits are instantly removable, presumably with the aid of a brush to deal with calls of nature by the donkeys.