The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scrappage petition
(22-01-2018, 11:56 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Indeed - being old doesn't automatically make something worth preserving.
Gosh, I hope you are not repeating that on my 80th birthday :-)

Slightly more seriously, scrappage can also be a good thing (presuming that market forces behave correctly):
The more A7s that are actually sent to scrap, the rarer and therefore the more valuable your own baby becomes.
Scrapyards could also become a more rich source for spares.
Just a thought.
Scrappage sceems are pointless anyway.

Companies want to sell new cars, so if you are looking at a new mondeo for £30k for instance. They may give as much as £2k Scrappage. On the other hand if you haggle, the main dealers have permission to give a £2k discount to encourage you to buy.

But you won't get BOTH at the same time. Either or.

I take it its 30+ years before a car can be historic, usually the main numbers of any car have already been scrapped from accidents, or uneconomical repaires by then, So if the few servivors get historic status good luck to them. Sad that a car should get that far just to be put in a crusher.

So I've signed it.
Oh come on chaps, how can you say its not worth saving or the more cars scrapped the more mine is worth? That maybe an OK attitude if you are a car dealer or a collector or have not got the skills to maintain them yourself, but for me repairing maintaining or restoring is the name of the game, I don't really care what vehicle it is, if I can drag it out of a hedge or shed and get it back on the road again I am happy it does not need to be in perfect condition or totally original and I could not care less what the value of the car is as long as I am not out of pocket at the end of the day. Don't forget the Austin 7 was a car for the masses and was not designed to be a play thing of the rich just a cheap simple uninteresting runabout and to me that is part of its charm.
As far as I am concerned the 'value' of my car is a liability, I haven't the slightest intention of cashing in and yet I'm forced to lock her up out of sight for fear some herbert will knick her. As for members of the public asking me 'what's that worth?' - I cringe and change the subject every time. We were a much happier bunch when our cars were cheap as well as cheerful.
My problem with scrappage schemes is that it moves the decision about scrapping a car away from anything related to serviceability, road worthyness, emissions etc, onto a pure financial one.
Car company wants to sell a new car but can't sell as many as their targets demand.
Comes up with a variation on the discount scheme by offering scrappage.
Man gets old car and keeps for few months to get a net benefit discount, £6k I saw on a VW.

Result is that a sometimes perfectly serviceable car is taken off the road to get a discount on a massive people carrier that probably does fewer to the gallon and chewed up the value of a chunk of rain forest in environmental damage in its production. Let's face it, few people who actually drive a £3k car are likely to be in the market for a new one.

I heard that 32 Peugeot 205 GTIs were scrapped in the 2009 scheme. It didn't work then and I fear will be little more than a discount voucher for a car which would have been purchased anyway, just perhaps a lower model.

Let's be thankful that there weren't such schemes in the 50s for £20 off a new car, otherwise we might have lost a whole heap of £5 Austin Sevens everyone keeps telling me they paid for their cars as students of the day and we certainly wouldn't have the numbers out there today with the following and support they generate.
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!