The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three wheeled Austin Seven...
Big Grin 
Rosengart guys are lucky as most have twice the nuts 

But also three X the bugs Most eating the French wood.......
First road test is satisfactory.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1931 RN, 1933 APD
(25-08-2017, 02:30 PM)Roland Alcock Wrote: First road test is satisfactory.

Er... not sure thats entirely p.c... I think tests involving animals are a little frowned upon these days?  Smile
They insist on doing all the inspections.
1931 RN, 1933 APD
The dogs have noise dampers suited to rpm in a Seven.  For long trips I resorted to cotton wool.

The RN/RP rear seat is very comfortable for a small car, especially so for dogs who have no problem with  the footwell.

If I had lost a wheel would have adopted much the same expression as dog on the left.
The saga continues. I didn't really like the look of the position of the split pin on the half shaft when I changed the wheel studs on the other side of the axle. The nut was so far down the thread the split pin was barely in the castellation slots. Sunday travelled 50 miles to Much Marcle VSCC gathering and back, with a passenger (but no dogs) and car performed well. Then in the afternoon had another 5 mile trip to a local car show, no passenger but both dogs on the back seat. On leaving the show strange crink/crunk/crack noises started from the rear end. Stopped (no rain for 8 days and found the only puddle in the county) and ascertained nothing was loose and falling off, but got muddy hands. Continued home and on jacking the car up found the axle was not differentialling. Removed offending hub and centred the half shaft position and diff worked freely. Hopefully the half shaft taper is not worn as much as the hub taper. I will discover tomorrow when I pick up a fresh hub tonight from HA7C. Must have been the weight of the dogs in the back that sent the axle all unnecessary!

Roly

(27-08-2017, 11:07 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: The dogs have noise dampers suited to rpm in a Seven.  For long trips I resorted to cotton wool.

The RN/RP rear seat is very comfortable for a small car, especially so for dogs who have no problem with  the footwell.

If I had lost a wheel would have adopted much the same expression as dog on the left.

The A7 is the dogs car of choice, this is the car they run to for a ride. Next most popular is the Riley RME than the Spridget, and lastly the modern.

I find leaving my hearing aids at home give levels of audio luxury that others can only dream of.

R.
1931 RN, 1933 APD
If nothing else, the Forum does stir the grey matter. 
Why do the dogs prefer the Seven? Do they enjoy the attention? Do they crave excitement, and know about steering arms? Do they enjoy the roll and pitch? Do they enjoy speed and judge it by sensation? Does the modest deceleration suit them?
From observation in the days when dogs routinely travelled on truck trays, they clearly take a great interest in the passing scenery (and odours, one type in particular).
The ability to see out from within an RN/RP is rivalled by few other cars. I guess that is what attracts.

Seems like your hub is yet another victim of lapping mania....  On Model A Fords it is common to fit a packing sleeve but it is hard to imagine anything surviving with a Seven.
Depending on the contact pattern, the quandary will be how to treat the new hub.
To tidy up this thread. crink/crunk/cracK was due to a collapsed wheel bearing.
Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
(01-09-2017, 06:07 PM)Roland Alcock Wrote: To tidy up this thread. crink/crunk/cracK was due to a collapsed wheel bearing.
Roly

Roland,

I thought rear wheel bearing collapse was unusual-  was it lack of lubrication (or a chinese bearing) ?

Cheers, Tony.
Was probably ok and minding it's own business until it was disturbed when I changed the wheel studs. Plenty of slippy stuff around it. Not Chinese but it was old and the stamped numbers were hard to make out.
1931 RN, 1933 APD