The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three wheeled Austin Seven...
Yes check your nuts, but don't over tighten them! Many hubs show signs of dishing on the back of the stud mounts which is a sure sign of a failure waiting to happen.
Black Art Enthusiast
All back together again. Post arrived early. Thanks to The Seven Workshop for dispatching the parts promptly. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1931 RN, 1933 APD
Wow! You were very lucky it didn't do any serious bodywork damage.
NO FUN!

I've had that happen twice ... My 1897 Goddeu ... someone way back switched the wheels left for right ... first time I drove it one front fell off as the central nut undone! AND at REAL speed in my 1927 Stutz Blackhawk Speedster. 

I CAN TELL YOU YOUR VERY LUCKY!  

I'm very glad nothing was damaged. In your case or either of mine. Sometimes the lord provides humbling moments without injury  Angel
Wink 
I hope you renewed the other 3 wheels as well
The first video of a steering arm failure will be interesting... if the camera survives
(16-08-2017, 12:27 AM)Pearls not a Singer Wrote: I hope you renewed the other 3 wheels as well

That is the plan.
1931 RN, 1933 APD
As a teenager I used to give my RP beans, regularly lifting a rear wheel on a switchback corner on my way home each day. I managed to find a set of studs not dished at the back or stretched to Whitworth but was still nervous so fitted 3 extra. Skills and tools then limited and did not get sufficiently accurate for cone seatings so settled for flat.

As with other cars with 3/8 studs have to stand guard over tyre changers and “mechanics” accustomed to the astonishing torques of moderns.

A common cause of failed studs is wheels which work loose on thick paint or dirt, causing fatigue failure of the stud, as in this case. Or seated on the brake drum screws.

It is so common to see studs dished that sort of expect at least one of to fail that way, but not so in this case.

Incredibly the rear guard, so often bent one way ot the other on RPs,  escaped damage.

Also surprised the car did not lean more obviously. Does not seem to tilt at the initial lurch.
Off side rear wheel studs now replaced. No apparent deformation with the old ones. Will change the fronts later this week. 

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
Changed the studs on the front hubs today. And very glad I am that I did so. There were no apparent problems with the studs I removed, but the OSF wheel had eight broken spokes. Wobbly it was... everything safe now and good to go to Serendipty at Much Marcle on Sunday. 

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD