The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12 Volt fuel tank sender unit
(18-01-2018, 11:03 PM)Phil Kingdom Wrote: Hi Roger, I think we met at Tavernspite a couple of months back, My friend recently fitted a battery isolator that fits directly on to the battery terminal though I cant remember where he said he got it but it is probably the neatest way of doing it rather than the larger key type isolator that will require further wiring

Thank you for all the suggestions I have sent for one of the “Green Knob” type.
No Phil it was not me I am still reconstructing my A7 RP so do not stray too far from the garage!

Roger
Hi Roger,
The nice things about this site is how we manage to get sidetracked with fresh ideas slightly 'off topic,' although my spelling of fuel must have caused some mirth!  Anyway, just where you fit your switch is your choice, just somewhere that is not obvious to children etc. at rallies that insist on moving anything movable and pressing the horn button with gusto. Plus of course foiling those who have a sinister intention, it being far easier to drive than push.  I fitted my isolator after finding out that the forward facing starter motor is always live, even with the ignition off - bit of a shock to the old ticker were that!
Don't forget to use good quality starter cable throughout with good soldered joints if using a 'fit anywhere' isolator.
Have fun, Peter.
I too have a green knob (Don't Google that!) with original Negative earth. Without going & checking I am almost certain it is fitted to the earth terminal. I am not good with electrics, but I am sure that is how it is supposed to be. The photo looks as if that is the power cable....?
(16-01-2018, 07:41 PM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(16-01-2018, 06:59 PM)Matt_Harnden Wrote:
(15-01-2018, 05:48 PM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: I will be removing my 6 volt one towards the end of the week ,I dont know if it works or not or if its the guage ,but as I am now 12 volt on my Ruby I have bought a Midget fuel guage and 12 v sender . You are welcome to mine FOC , just cover the post and packing.

Sent you a private message Nigel.

(16-01-2018, 05:58 PM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(16-01-2018, 05:44 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Just adding a two-pennyworth for completeness. It is my understanding that there are two types of sender unit and two types of fuel gauge - and they only work with their respective types. Maybe to do with polarity? If I have dreamed this or made it up then will someone please correct me.[Image: undecided.png]

Thanks for both replies -- will try and remove gauge tomorrow, a la reckless.

I will send off the gauge and sender to be checked for compatibility and than all should be revealed.

Charles

This may help Charles:

http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...20Working/

Many thanks Nick. Really appreciated.

Charles

I loosened the gauge clamp and brought the gauge forward to have a shufty and then, with ignition switched on, the thing jumped into life showing the correct amount of fuel in the tank so presume it to be have been a poor earth -- nice to find the answer.

Charles
(19-01-2018, 12:02 PM)David.H Wrote: I too have a green knob (Don't Google that!) with original Negative earth. Without going & checking I am almost certain it is fitted to the earth terminal. I am not good with electrics, but I am sure that is how it is supposed to be. The photo looks as if that is the power cable....?

Being  pre 1930 my isolating switches are all for negative earth and the standard 'green knob' fits the battery negative terminal nicely, with  everything under the passengers seat well out of sight of prying fingers.

Cheers, Tony.
(19-01-2018, 10:15 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(19-01-2018, 12:02 PM)David.H Wrote: I too have a green knob (Don't Google that!) with original Negative earth. Without going & checking I am almost certain it is fitted to the earth terminal. I am not good with electrics, but I am sure that is how it is supposed to be. The photo looks as if that is the power cable....?

Being  pre 1930 my isolating switches are all for negative earth and the standard 'green knob' fits the battery negative terminal nicely, with  everything under the passengers seat well out of sight of prying fingers.

Cheers, Tony.
Thank you for that confirmation...that is just how mine are.
David
Holden supply 12V sender units for the moving coil type, same as fitted to our cars, they provide a useful data sheet

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https...70_233.pdf
(18-01-2018, 11:03 PM)Phil Kingdom Wrote: Hi Roger, I think we met at Tavernspite a couple of months back, My friend recently fitted a battery isolator that fits directly on to the battery terminal though I cant remember where he said he got it but it is probably the neatest way of doing it rather than the larger key type isolator that will require further wiring

Auto Electrical Supplies have these for about £8 plus shipping:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/p...ategory/30