The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Recommended Books
Again not automotive but Churchills My Early Life is Boys Own stuff by a great writer.
Ruairidh,

Yes indeed, "20 000 miles South" by Frank Schneider - taking an amphibious jeep from the USA to the tip of South America in the 1960s.

Also "Turn Left the Riffs have Risen" by A. Cameron Gilg. The story of a wealthy man and "his driver" i.e servant, taking a Morris Minor from England to Cape Town in the 1930s.

Both excellent if a little difficult to find.

Peter.
I hesitate a little, as I have no wish to set myself up as a book trader: However, I still have my Dad's collection of motoring books, about 250 in total, which are currently rendering my spare room useless as they occupy some 8 or 9 large boxes.

There are some splendid tomes among them (including some of those mentioned above), some junk, and one or two quite precious ones. It took me an age to list them and put a rough value on each, but I haven't quite got around to eBay-ing them yet.

I will most likely be keeping a few, for mainly sentimental reasons, and most of the A7 stuff unless there are duplicate copies; but if the OP or indeed anyone else reading this thread would care to see the list by all means message me.
It would be nice to see them slowly drift away to appreciative homes.

Chris
MY PARROT LIKES OLD BOOKS... MUST BE THE WAY THEY SMELL... IT COULDN'T BE THE WAY THEY TASTE AS HE NEVER REALLY FINISHES ONE JUST LEAVES MOST OF  IT ON A TABLE .... I MUST BE CAREFUL WHERE I LEAVE THEM AROUND.
Some I like are
In search of England HV Morton - about a road trip in in the 20’s
And Lost Causes of Motoring by Lord Montagu
Backfire by the late MP Alan Clark, very entertaining
Now if it is an Austin themed book you are looking for, may I suggest 'An Austin Anthology' which was released for publication only this week (15/03/18). Yes, I know it was me who wrote it but never the less you might find it of considerable interest, or at least I sincerely hope so!
Jim.
I was at a garage sale of a very elderly British couple who were selling off most of their possessions as they were moving to a retirement home. I had bought a couple of books and as I was paying for them the man pressed a very large, very tatty paperback into my hands. It was the best book he had ever read, he said, and he didn't want it to go into the rubbish. The book was RV Jones' 'Most Secret War'. And it was a very good, eye-opening book. Jones had found it so difficult to accurately measure things such as radio frequencies during the war that he devoted his post-war career to improving measurement. I feel that this was a bit of a come-down for a man who had done so much to fend off a German victory in WWII.
Stephen's 'Building and racing my 750' and John Bolster's 'Specials' are my favourite car books. Do any GN cars still exist?
A flawed (perhaps very flawed) masterpiece is Len Deighton's 'City of Gold'. It has the best first chapter of any book I have read.
(20-03-2018, 12:20 AM)Ritchie Wilson Wrote: I was at a garage sale of a very elderly British couple who were selling off most of their possessions as they were moving to a retirement home. I had bought a couple of books and as I was paying for them the man pressed a very large, very tatty paperback into my hands. It was the best book he had ever read, he said, and he didn't want it to go into the rubbish. The book was RV Jones' 'Most Secret War'. And it was a very good, eye-opening book. Jones had found it so difficult to accurately measure things such as radio frequencies during the war that he devoted his post-war career to improving measurement. I feel that this was a bit of a come-down for a man who had done so much to fend off a German victory in WWII.
Stephen's 'Building and racing my 750' and John Bolster's 'Specials' are my favourite car books. Do any GN cars still exist?
A flawed (perhaps very flawed) masterpiece is Len Deighton's 'City of Gold'. It has the best first chapter of any book I have read.

Just visited ABE Booksearch and ordered 'An Austin Anthology' and 'Most Secret War' - that covers two of my interests- Austin Sevens and WWII- thank you all for your suggestions Smile

Price for 'An Austin Anthology' from the Book Depository (UK) including postage to Australia A$23.  

Cheers, Tony.
Wordery appears to be the best price (£10.18 with free delivery) seller at the moment:-

https://wordery.com/an-austin-anthology-...gIWzPD_BwE