The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Recommended Books
Afternoon,

Iam heading away on holiday soon and will have some time to kill, what are peoples Austin/Vintage/Automotive book recommendations? 

I have read a few of the popular ones from the top of my head:

Colemans Drive
Seven years with Samantha 

One recomendation i will add is:

"one good run the legend of burt munro" - the book the film "the worlds fastest Indian" was based on. Good film but an even better book
Watching the wheels - Damon Hill's biography

The Bugatti Queen - by Miranda Seymour

Split Seconds - Raymond Mays

A Racing Motorist - SCH Davis

And nothing to do with cars - Carrying the Fire by Michael Collins. Fascinating account of being a NASA astronaut
Kenneth Neve's "A Bit Behind the Times" is a great read. A veritable bargain at £2.75
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD...1-_-title1

And "A Vintage Car Casebook" from Peter Hull and Nigel Arnold-Forster is hugely informative and enjoyable. Bust the bank at £6.98
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD...1-_-title1
Hi John,

I'm enjoying "An incredible journey" by Max Reisch - driving a Steyr Puch car from India to China in 1935. Newly re-released I think.

Peter.
Peter - what was the name of the book you loaned me - 10000 miles south?
I have an eclectic collection of non fiction books, many technical subjects.  I am of an age where colleagues are regularly out of action . Some are slightly like minded (and not at all contrary) and I have loaned the following books. Some have not got anywhere, some were very interested. May have to obtain thru Interloan,
If interested in matters technical; Ricardos auto biography under two tiltles Memories and Machines/ The Ricardo Story. Also any/all editions of his semi textbook The High Speed Internal Combustion Engine. If interested in the history of the car The Motor Car, Anthony Bird. If interested in older Brit motor industry Wheels of Misfortune, Johnathan Wood. Classic Racing Cars, Cyril Posthumus.Technology in general, Tools For The Job, Rolt.
As a general read Roald Dahls auto biographies Boy and Going Solo. And a great war book War In a Stringbag by Lamb. For Brits with a sense of history Churchills Second World War Vol 2 Their Finest Hour stirs the blood (and depresses when the present outcome considered). Darwin and the Beagle, Alan Moorehead. KonTiki still a good read, esp if start well in
Kon Tiki - awesome adventure!

I read Worsley’s “Shackleton’s boat journey” last summer, gripped me to the last word.
Shackleton is my all time hero. Try "Shackleton's Whisky" by Neville Peat.
Or, on a different theme "Early one morning" by Robert Ryan - it's part fiction part true about the exploits of racing drivers Williams and Benoist during the War.
(13-01-2018, 11:20 AM)Alan Wrote: Shackleton is my all time hero.  Try "Shackleton's Whisky" by Neville Peat.  
Or, on a different theme "Early one morning" by Robert Ryan - it's part fiction part true about the exploits of racing drivers Williams and Benoist during the War.

I read Shackleton's own account of THAT journey (it was free on Kindle !) ...absolutely astounding. Well worth a read. So sad that many did not survive the Great War after such an ordeal.
I will look out for those - I too hold Shackleton in very high(est) regard. I bought a picture book of the glass plates they chose to take from Endurance - absolutely fascinating (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shackleton-Voya...0297843605).

I wish certain world leaders would see leadership as he did. Too many follow Franklin's course today, it would seem...