The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
28/29 rad shells compatibility
Are the rad shells on an AE tourer and AD Tourer are the same as RK Saloon?

(and perhaps the same as the same as the 34-36 sports models?)
I thought they were, but overlaying the technical drawings the saloon bonnet line seems higher, hence question.
thanks
AD, AE and RK all use the same rad shell - so far as I know Jon.

I understand they are the same as the later sports as well (with some light bracket holes drilled).
The AD shell was black painted steel and shorter between mid 1926 and September 1928 ,at this time the magneto engine was superceded by the coil engine and the taller Nickel plated shell. The R saloon and RK saloon were produced together for a short time , both with nickel shells (till around late October 1928) to use up stock.
Cheers Steve Hainsworth
(11-01-2018, 10:39 AM)Steve Hainsworth Wrote: The AD shell was black painted steel and shorter between mid 1926 and September 1928 ,at this time  the magneto engine was superceded by the coil engine and the taller Nickel plated shell. The R saloon and RK saloon were produced together for a short time , both with nickel shells (till around late October 1928) to use up stock.
Cheers Steve Hainsworth
Thanks both

Steve - do I infer thus that those saloon nickels till Oct 28 were the same size as the pre Sept 28 AD? (i.e. Nickel is not a linking factor)

That's good to know the early shorter rad shell finishes when the magneto finishes. I presume the taller one is also that which Ruairidh refers to as the one that is used on the 65/Nippy.
(11-01-2018, 09:20 AM)JonE Wrote: Are the rad shells on an AE tourer and AD Tourer are the same as RK Saloon?

Steve is quite correct - my answer only applies the Factory nickel and chrome plated cowls used by AD. AE and RK post painted rads. These are all identical so far as I know.

I believe Jon is trying to ascertain if the Saloon rad. cowl differed from the Tourer version - I consider them to be identical.
(11-01-2018, 11:00 AM)JonE Wrote: That's good to know the early shorter rad shell finishes when the magneto finishes... 

Well, almost! In fact the raised nickel-plated shells were introduced in August 1928 at A6-9330 (chassis 67024), the first coil engine was fitted to A7-1280 (68814, engine 69000) and not standardised until A7-1569 (69135). The RK (wide-door saloon style) was not standardised until A7-6400, so there were both mag-engined and coil-engined R saloons with the larger radiator.
(11-01-2018, 03:30 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 11:00 AM)JonE Wrote: That's good to know the early shorter rad shell finishes when the magneto finishes... 

Well, almost! In fact the raised nickel-plated shells were introduced in August 1928 at A6-9330 (chassis 67024), the first coil engine was fitted to A7-1280 (68814, engine 69000) and not standardised until A7-1569 (69135). The RK (wide-door saloon style) was not standardised until A7-6400, so there were both mag-engined and coil-engined R saloons with the larger radiator.

Bill Sheehan has asked me to post this reply-

Jon - There is a difference between the 28/29 radiator shell and those fitted to Nippys, albeit not a lot.  The neck orifice is larger; the bottom front face does not have the two-bolts protruding (although there were a few Ulsters with the later no-bolt version); only one of the external holes on the shell lower sides agrees with the mounting holes on the earlier shells & it is not slotted; the steel reinforcing internal brackets are longer and the channels are shaped differently; the two mounting brackets for the tank base are entirely different.  Also you mentioned scanning factory drawings, but I feel you place too much reliance on their accuracy - they don't always agree with what metal the factory produces.  Re your striving for a  horizontal line - on bonnet drawings they may look level with the ground, but every Seven I've worked on had a rise of at least 1/4" from front to rear on the bonnets.  I've checked with 3 owners of 65/Nippys and they agree that theirs have a rise of 1/4".  A small difference such as that would hardly show on a small drawing.   Hope this helps.      Bill Sheehan
Tony - that is really useful to know. I'll email thanks directly too.

The horizontal bonnet line thing is interesting. Those Nippy cars which have found it somehow (whether that be through raising cowhorn packing or engine mounts or whatever) definitely have more presence/a more agressive stance. The bit that interests me is the intent from the factory when those (large scale) plans were done - that was a vision which got diluted in reality. We have now found that that with the early 65 drawing (which has nicely symmetrical rear wings wrapping around the wheels), that didn't really happen in practice until the 1936 cars. From a survey of quite a few cars, the very latest do appear to have wings whose design was obviously altered to realise the original plan, albeit when the car was almost finishing production!