The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
French Traffic Regulations - important changes
For those of you looking to travel on the continent there are a couple of changes in French Traffic Regulation worth noting.

The first relates to a reduction in the speed limit on all rural two-way roads without central reservation, which were nominally restricted to 90kph. With effect from 1st July this year (2018) the limit will be reduced nationally to 80kph, unless there is already a lower limit already in force. Whilst it may not be too relevant to those of you touring in your Austin, it will be relevant if you're using your modern. The "end of village" sign, with a red diagonal normally indicates the change from 50kph to the national speed limit:

[Image: th?id=OIP.gGaWaxg0JrqReO7kyiV2AwHaFy&pid...=224&h=176]

It is customary to have advance warning of fixed roadside cameras, with a reminder of the speed limit in force:

[Image: th?id=OIP.YXRL77Cz_0VhTxXB_F3n8wHaFN&pid...=250&h=177]

However, I have noticed that there are more and more traffic light cameras being introduced, without advance warning, and "average speed" camera systems are becoming more prevalent.

In addition, currently the penalty for using a hand held mobile phone , headphones, or ear buds or other devices is 135€ plus three penalty points. With effect from 1st January 2019 this will change to a larger fine and IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION.

How the Forces of Order intend to police this is anyone's guess because police road checks are as rare as rocking horse poo at the best of times. You have to try particularly hard to attract their attention. However, if you are successful it's almost guaranteed that they will make the experience a memorable one...

Bear in mind that roadside cameras in France are set very close to the posted limit, so more than a couple of kph above the limit will involve activation.

Be careful!
Good info - thanks Recks
Thank you Bruce.

Can I use my mobile phone as a Sat Nav or is this now forbidden as well?
(10-01-2018, 12:52 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Thank you Bruce.

Can I use my mobile phone as a Sat Nav or is this now forbidden as well?

As I understand the regulation, the offence is committed if you have the phone in your hand, or tucked under your head/shoulder while driving. Bluetooth operation is OK, but as I read it those daft thingys that people have stuck in their lughole are no longer approved.

In a bracket or elsewhere you're OK, provided that you're not listening to the instructions via headphones or ear buds. Here is some info in frogspeak. Let me know if you need help with it.

http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.ne...amende#gps

I use my phone for SatNav in all my vehicles, backed up with a stand alone Bluetooth speaker (ANKER) for better clarity.
Thank you Bruce - very helpful.
That's good info as one who drives in France in a modern fairly often..

This summer, I was certain that I noticed more instances where roadside speed cameras did *not* have advance notification, as they have always helpfully had in the past, so one had to be vigilant on speed..

Now, if only they could finally get rid of the anachronism that is ‘Priorité à droite’ and we would all be happy...
With effect from 1st March 2017 the design of warning signs was changed, albeit slightly to take account of the prevalence of average speed cameras (image on the left)

However... there is no legal requirement for the placing of such signs, although there is advice that for fixed sites the sign, if placed should be no more than 600metres (motorway) prior to the camera, or 400 metres (90kph).

[Image: panneau-radar-vitesse.jpg]

I doubt if they'll ever totally get rid of "prorité à droite" because it keeps too many body shops in work... It is, however something to be very vigilant of particularly in French towns and villages.

Beware of this sign: [Image: th?id=OIP.Rszy23uo8KwllhpsfD1Q7QEsEs&pid...=300&h=300] and ALWAYS check road junctions on your right - if there is no stop or give way lines across the mouth of the junction then that road will have priority over you. It's daft, I know but that's how it is. Don't expect a local to enter your road with caution. It's their right of way and you'll be at fault if there's a coming together. Lots of skid marks are a dead giveaway.

Just one more thing while I'm on the subject of French driving laws. It's worth knowing that the French have a totally different way to the UK for negotiating roundabouts. Their "Code de Route" gives instruction that when approaching a roundabout, irrespective of which lane you use on approach, if you intend to leave at the first exit you should indicate right. If not, then you should indicate left until you get to your desired exit, when you should indicate right. This effectively means that the right hand lane on a french roundabout will be used by traffic turning left, with a left hand indicator. It's done not just by lorries but by everyone. If you use the left hand lane be VERY aware of traffic on your right prior to peeling off. If you collide then it's the vehicle which has crossed the mane markings which is at fault.

In addition, many vehicles in the South of France are either not fitted with indicators, or have an indicator stalk which operates in the opposite direction to the steering wheel, thus giving no or misleading signals. Trust no-one. If I remember correctly when we bought the Mem'Sahib's Peugeot the salesman did ask whether we wanted to tick the 'with' or 'without' indicators box...
Reckless, let me confirm, that link you provided is the status quo, right? i.e. pre-reg changes. Unless I'm mistaken it only mentions fines and points, not disqualification.

Are you able to cite a source for the reg updates? (not that I doubt you, just that others are expressing an interest).
(10-01-2018, 04:38 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Reckless, let me confirm, that link you provided is the status quo, right? i.e. pre-reg changes. Unless I'm mistaken it only mentions fines and points, not disqualification.

Are you able to cite a source for the reg updates? (not that I doubt you, just that others are expressing an interest).

I haven't seen any legal documents but it was splattered all across the national news section of our local rag this morning:

http://www.midilibre.fr/2018/01/09/la-vi...611813.php

The changes to the speed limits will be effective from 1st July this year. Mobile phone usage currently incurs 135€ fine + three points. Theyv are talking about the "Forces of Order" - Police, Gendarmes introducing an immediate disqualification wef 1/1/2019 if the mobile phone use involves other offences threatening the safety of the user or others (eg alcohol, drugs, excess speed etc).

There is some resistance to the proposed measures, but it's already been passed by the govt. It was announced today by The Prime Minister, Eduard Philippe so you can't get much higher than him: Blog info...

https://www.legipermis.com/blog/2017/12/...h-en-2018/

If that helps
(10-01-2018, 04:54 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 04:38 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Reckless, let me confirm, that link you provided is the status quo, right? i.e. pre-reg changes. Unless I'm mistaken it only mentions fines and points, not disqualification.

I haven't seen any legal documents but it was splattered all across the national news section of our local rag this morning:

http://www.midilibre.fr/2018/01/09/la-vi...611813.php

The changes to the speed limits will be effective from 1st July this year. Mobile phone usage currently incurs 135€ fine + three points. Theyv are talking about the "Forces of Order" - Police, Gendarmes introducing an immediate disqualification wef 1/1/2019 if the mobile phone use involves other offences threatening the safety of the user or others (eg alcohol, drugs, excess speed etc).

There is some resistance to the proposed measures, but it's already been passed by the govt. It was announced today by The Prime Minister, Eduard Philippe so you can't get much higher than him: Blog info...

https://www.legipermis.com/blog/2017/12/...h-en-2018/

If that helps
Many thanks Reckless, I'll study with interest