The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVK Van. Where's the fuel tank?!
Can anyone help with information about the fuel tank on AVK (Mk2 Ruby) vans?

We've built several sets of woodwork for these, but the only one that we've actually had on the premises didn't, as far as we can remember, have the petrol tank fitted.

We're now working on an AVK project that requires some radical reconstruction and are scratching our heads.  With the spare wheel fitted below the rear floor, there doesn't appear to be anywhere for the tank to go, unless it was exceptionally shallow.

The poor quality photo - not the vehicle we're working on - shows what goes on below floor level.

.jpg   AVK203.JPG (Size: 59.15 KB / Downloads: 391)
Martin not sure if this helps but if you google Austin AVK images ,  the  fuel filler is o/s/r behind the wheel suggesting a rear mounted tank. Others will doubtless give more detailed  info.

PS. another look seems to show fillers o/s and n/s, twin tanks?
(09-01-2018, 06:37 PM)Peter Clayton Wrote: Martin not sure if this helps but if you google Austin AVK images ,  the  fuel filler is o/s/r behind the wheel suggesting a rear mounted tank. Others will doubtless give more detailed  info.

PS. another look seems to show fillers o/s and  n/s, twin tanks?

Thanks Peter.  I'm certain that a genuine AVK should only have a nearside filler - the opposite to a Ruby saloon.
I agree - nearside only; but where the tank goes, I really cannot imagine. The filler is quite low down, so the tank has to go under the floor,but surely not beneath the spare wheel well?
We gave Alastair Wreford an original tank for one of those vans in the summer. It was shot but he appears to have repaired it for his van, hopefully he will explain the fitment.

It has a very long filler (on the n/s I think) and is much flatter than a Ruby one.
(09-01-2018, 08:17 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: We gave Alastair Wreford an original tank for one of those vans in the summer.  It was shot but he appears to have repaired it for his van, hopefully he will explain the fitment.

It has a very long filler (on the n/s I think) and is much flatter than a Ruby one.

Thanks, Ruairidh.  We actually supplied the woodwork for Alastair's van and as it happens I needs to drop him a line about something else.  I'll pick his brains!
I suspected that might be the case - in other news, doors have arrived!!
This Clive Barker shot does appear to show the long filler pipe - is that the tank side visible through the wires of the wheel. This is chassis number 290958.

.png   Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 19.44.37.png (Size: 1.33 MB / Downloads: 312)
(09-01-2018, 08:52 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: This Clive Barker shot does appear to show the long filler pipe - is that the tank side visible through the wires of the wheel. This is chassis number 290958.

Thanks Jeff. Actually, that's another van we've done a frame for! Had it here in the workshop a few years ago.
Hi - Quick search on-line brings up these two photos - might add something - Regards, Colin

Attached Files
.jpg   Ruby_Van_2.jpg (Size: 90.01 KB / Downloads: 261)
.jpg   Ruby_Van_1.jpg (Size: 75.99 KB / Downloads: 257)