The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And then it went Bang
February 1935. That blows the "1937" date for the extra holes out of the water.

Different foundries with different patterns?

Charles
(15-08-2017, 08:44 PM)Charles P Wrote: February 1935. That blows them"1937" date for the extra holes out of the water.

Charles

Interesting Charles, I will dig out all the spare blocks I have to examine them to see if there is any pattern. I have also seen the matching drillings on some crankcases, I will be fascinated by what Tony finds as he obviously has a far larger stock of parts than I do. I guess this is purely of academic interest but I wonder why it was done, as I mentioned earlier I assumed it was to increase valve chest oil mist, however why would the drillings not be consistent???
Black Art Enthusiast
Upon further investigation it wasn't just the block. 
Crank and cam appear straight but the Phoenix rods have taken a beating.

The question is whether it's safe to straighten them or do I have an expensive set of paperweights?
If they are paperweights then I'll be looking for replacement rods ideally from a Renault (or from Phoenix)

Charles

Ps - apologies for the sideways picture. It wasn't me, honest!

(15-08-2017, 08:44 PM)Charles P Wrote: February 1935. That blows the "1937" date for the extra holes out of the water.

Charles

Checking a few blocks in Club stock, the hammer in welsh plug blocks have two extra (useless? ) holes, the screw in welsh plug blocks don't.

Not very scientific.

Cheers, Tony.
Hi Charles, What do the Pistons look like.
Also what was the reason for having to fit a new Head gasket.
Use the Rods as paper weights not worth the risk.
Just wondered, is there a supplier of new blocks out there ? I`ve discounted several mainly due to what I considered excessive corrosion etc... an opportunity for an enterprising soul ?
I presume the paper weight reference is tongue in cheek. Unless nitrided and therefore now cracked, certainly would not consign to scrap if the opening is still circular. Maybe these are heat treated different but conrods in many makes stand incredible bending  when things go bang, so unlikely to be seriously affected by slight distortion. (i have seen folded double) The rods are massive for such small pistons and for the revs intended for original sports cars.  Straightened would seem likely far more reliable as a road rod  than typical used Austin originals.
(21-08-2017, 08:29 AM)Albert S Wrote: Just wondered, is there a supplier of new blocks out there ? I`ve discounted several mainly due to what I considered excessive corrosion etc... an opportunity for an enterprising soul ?

Hi Albert,

Yes I have made blocks in the past, but they are now to expensive like many things to produce.

I have a couple of unmachined castings left at £500 each.

I also have quarry engineerings patterns for grasshopper blocks but the last time dave had any made was at least 8 years ago, and an unmachined casting was £750 then.

I have been offered several chances of machineing, but costs are also to high.

The last one from a VSCC member, wanting £625 for casting and £675 for machineing plus vat. And I don't make a penny from that.

Mind you, although austin 7 people don't buy at those prices. The VAR want near £2,000 for an austin 12 block!

If 5 + people want to come forward, I could produce another batch at £1,800 fully machined.

Tony.
You need to update your website, then, Tony; it says you are taking orders for machined blocks at £850!
(23-08-2017, 08:50 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: You need to update your website, then, Tony; it says you are taking orders for machined blocks at £850!

Hi mike,

I can't find that one on my website?

It's probably still running on my advert in the scottish meshing point. But we both would have been ten years younger when that advert was first run.

A lot has changed since then. Much of it to keep our glorious government in duck islands.

V.A.T has changed,now 20%
Gas is 3 x what it was 10 years ago
Same with the electric
Emissions up the chimney for the cast iron has gone up 400% in ten years.
And the foundry puts up the cost of iron every year to cover wage costs, rates on the building etc.

O Yes, and then there's those horrible workers who want a pay rise EVERY year.

It all goes onto the bill for parts being made in the UK. maybe a trader wants to get some made in China, unlikely to work, but they will be cheap.

Tony Big Grin