The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Grinding a phoenix crank
You are strongly advised to return the crank to Phoenix to be reground.
(08-01-2018, 11:06 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: You are strongly advised to return the crank to Phoenix to be reground.

Any logical reason why?
Because Phoenix are most likely to do a proper job, re-nitrating the big end journals plus come up with the proper resized shell bearings for the connecting rods. You will need to check with them that the shells on the connecting rods have been resized with the reground crank. I have had this work done by them.
(09-01-2018, 05:45 AM)Barker Wrote: Because Phoenix are most likely to do a proper job, re-nitrating the big end journals plus come up with the proper resized shell bearings for the connecting rods. You will need to check with them that the shells on the connecting rods have been resized with the reground crank. I have had this work done by them.

Phoenix are a decent outfit but a competent machine shop can grind a crank, resize rods and as has been said, a 10 thou grind won't go through the nitriding.
Yes, if you want to go further than 10 thou then the risk of going through the casing warrants their attention. 

Charles
(08-01-2018, 09:04 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 02:34 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 10:35 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote: Phoenix are doing me a billet crank at the moment, IIRC Marc said that the nitriding on it would be 0.020" deep

Are they doing you a special? Normally their A 7 cranks are from forging, not billet

Yes,  it is a special. Current Phoenix A7 cranks are from forgings as you say; Some earlier A7 Phoenix cranks were investment cast and then HIP treated. I have a 1 1/2" version of those here.
My understanding of a billet crank is that it is machined from a solid billet.

If I understand your reply correctly yours is from a casting , in which case it cannot be a billet crank.
A forged crank is better than a cast one, interested to know why you would be using a casting.
(09-01-2018, 09:26 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 10:35 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote: Phoenix are doing me a billet crank at the moment, IIRC Marc said that the nitriding on it would be 0.020" deep

Are they doing you a special? Normally their A 7 cranks are from forging, not billet

Yes,  it is a special. Current Phoenix A7 cranks are from forgings as you say; Some earlier A7 Phoenix cranks were investment cast and then HIP treated. I have a 1 1/2" version of those here.

If I understand your reply correctly yours is from a casting , in which case it cannot be a billet crank.
A forged crank is better than a cast one, interested to know why you would be using a casting.

Just to clarify, I have an early run-of-the-mill Phoenix 1 1/2" crank here -these were investment cast, and then HIP treated. Phoenix later went over to forging for these cranks. I am also having a one off "special" crank made by Phoenix at the moment, they're making it from EN40 billet which will then be nitrided.
(10-01-2018, 10:51 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote:

Just to clarify, I have an early run-of-the-mill Phoenix 1 1/2" crank here -these were investment cast, and then HIP treated. Phoenix later went over to forging for these cranks. I  am also having a one off "special" crank made by Phoenix at the moment, they're making it from EN40 billet which will then be nitrided.
Stuart that sounds very nice, can we see a picture when finished

(10-01-2018, 10:51 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote:

Just to clarify, I have an early run-of-the-mill Phoenix 1 1/2" crank here -these were investment cast, and then HIP treated. Phoenix later went over to forging for these cranks. I  am also having a one off "special" crank made by Phoenix at the moment, they're making it from EN40 billet which will then be nitrided.
Stuart that sounds very nice, can we see a picture when finished