The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition fault finding
Some weeks ago whilst giving my neighbour a lift home from work in the special (he'll never ask again!) it developed a misfire at low revs, gradually worsening over the 20 mile journey. The next morning a quick check showed that the points gap had closed up to almost nothing. I reset it but the car wouldn't start. There is no spark at the plugs.

I've changed components one at a time, starting with the condenser (2 different ones), then coil, distributor cap and leads, points and rotor arm but still no spark. It is a 12v neg earth system and I am getting 12v at both of the low tension wires to the coil. With the ignition on if I flick open the points I get a spark across the points. All the replacement components were known to be working when I stashed them in the boot years ago.

What am I missing? could there be a short circuit in the distributor base plate? I know this should be basic schoolboy car maintenance but I'm stumped! Any ideas?

Peter.
"I stashed them in the boot years ago."
Condensers have a finite shelf life and don't like being bashed around. I would start with a new one.
Thanks Colin, I hadn't realised that. I have a brand new one in the Ruby so I shall try that tomorrow.

Peter.
Neither had I until I had a chat with Martin Jay at Distributor Doctor last year, when I was trying to sort my Series Land Rover.. He had had some new old stock OEM condensers, the majority of which turned out to be duff.
Hello Peter,

Could this be the moment to consider electronic ignition?

Charles
I now fit competition condensers from Swiftune. Originally designed for racing minis, they work a treat on our specials and I have never heard of one failing. 
David.
(06-01-2018, 06:52 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: ......and I am getting 12v at both of the low tension wires to the coil.

You should get 12v at both low tension connections to the coil -- when the points are open.

You could try replacing the coil with a bulb. With points open the bulb should not light. Points closed and it should light. Crank the engine and the bulb should flash.
Thank you David, presumably you mount it outside the casing as suggested on their site?

Charles, I wouldn't rule it out but at this stage I'd rather find the fault. First failure in 30000 miles so I can't really complain that it's been unreliable!

Andrew, I shall try the bulb trick - I was uneasy about both terminals being live and you've addressed that concern. I'll report back.

Peter.
As an aside, the bulb will give you a precise indicator as to the timing...
Have you checked the rotor arm? By the way should you change to electronic ignition with a Bosch distributor you may not get a spark at the plug but would from the ht lead. I found that the distributor rotor arm had a resistor buried in it in the black pitch like substance on the top. I dug this out and soldered a copper strip across and filled it again with molten pitch. All then worked fine with an excellent 1/2" spark when tested from the lead.