The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSF Bolts failing when tightening
Hi Mark,
How long are your bolts? I may be able to test them for Yield strength.
Bolts with "no coating" are usually supplied with an oxide film, that may be dry, but has usually been oil quenched and possibly washed, this does give them a degree of lubrication. An absolutely dry assembly will give tightening problems due to the torsional "twist" when tightening due to the high thread friction. Best to assemble with Light oil, not with any additives as suggested by Bob Culver.
           Clive
I thought that's what Bob said. I can only see the suggestion to use oil sparingly.
For 40 years we had it drummed into us "refer to the relevant engine tightening table and there at the top of each page in big letters oil lubricated threads unless otherwise specified"
Thank you for all your responses,

The 3 set screws which failed are zinc plated 1/4” and are 3/4” long grade R, one was dry assembled, because I planed to remove it again, the other two I was fitting to stay and had lightly oiled.

All of these fasteners are going into my chassis to replace the unplanted R grade ones used during the build. At the time I assembled the chassis using liberal applications of Wax Oil, indeed all of these original fasteners threads are thick with it, but they took the appropriate ft. lbs. torque without a problem. 
You may be wondering why I felt compelled to change them;
Firstly, they have had repeated use during the build, so some stretch and thread wear was inevitable, secondly, I am expecting that as I shake down the car, that either due to vibration or unexpected stresses, some of these fasteners will need tightening, some of them repeatedly, it is amazing how vibration affects track cars, as such I did not want them covered in paint or difficult to inspect. I also did not want any crossion issues with them.

Clive, if you have the facility do a destructive test, that would be very interesting. My concern here is that the fault lies with me, so clarity on the viability of the fasteners would be most enlightening.

Regards, Mark
(06-01-2018, 11:21 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 10:39 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: A mechanical design engineer once told me that the torque specified for tightening nuts & bolts was for dry threads. Putting lubricant on the threads causes the friction between the parts to lessen drastically, which can result in excessive load on the fastener. Some years ago I had a complaint from a customer (who really should have known better) that he had wound the end off one of my halfshafts when tightening the castellated nut. Casual questioning revealed that he had liberally applied oil to everything (including the tapers)...

Did the end of the half shaft fail before the threads?

Yes - it was several years ago so I am not certain, but I think it went at the undercut just at the end of the taper.
Ouch!
David's and Bob's concerns about the nuts not being BSF appear to be plausible.

As an aside (sorry) I wondered if BSF head sizes were ever different from the head sizes of the corresponding BSW fasteners.
I have seen many spanners marked BSF when I would have thought that BSW or BS would have been the correct designation.
(08-01-2018, 11:14 PM)Ritchie Wilson Wrote: David's and Bob's concerns about the nuts not being BSF appear to be plausible.

As an aside (sorry) I wondered if BSF head sizes were ever different from the head sizes of the corresponding BSW fasteners.
I have seen many spanners marked BSF when I would have thought that BSW or BS would have been the correct designation.
Yes, 1/4 Whit and 5/16 BSF were the same head size. It was the same throughout the size range. Is that what you meant?
Yes thanks Roger, that's what I was getting at. 
So when whitworth head sizes changed in 1940 to the BSW sizes, BSF remained unchanged. 
I can hear my old teachers: "You fool Wilson!"
(09-01-2018, 09:12 PM)Ritchie Wilson Wrote: Yes thanks Roger, that's what I was getting at. 
So when whitworth head sizes changed in 1940 to the BSW sizes, BSF remained unchanged. 
I can hear my old teachers: "You fool Wilson!"

BSW head sizes changed in 1940 to the BSF sizes, BSF remained unchanged.

Cheers, Tony