The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saenz rods - shell type?
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.
It turns out that the bearings are neither too rare nor too obscure (although the Suzuki/Chevrolet cars they come from probably aren't as numerous as R4's). However I find it's odd to make a new rod, using a different bearings that is actually has less surface area. 

Charles
(16-01-2018, 12:32 AM)Charles P Wrote: Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.
It turns out that the bearings are neither too rare nor too obscure (although the Suzuki/Chevrolet cars they come from probably aren't as numerous as R4's). However I find it's odd to make a new rod, using a different bearings that is actually has less surface area. 

Charles

Yes, I thought that too.I heard a rumour a while back that the R4 shells were getting difficult to find, any truth in that?I contacted F F Thornton, they only had limited stock.perhaps that's the reason.
I am not able to confirm the rumour.
Charles, I see these little Suzuki's often, can't remember the last sighting of a Renault 4
(16-01-2018, 08:42 AM)JZetomagneto Wrote:
(16-01-2018, 12:32 AM)Charles P Wrote: Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Charles

Yes, I thought that too.I heard a rumour a while back that the R4 shells were getting difficult to find, any truth in that?I contacted F F Thornton, they only had limited stock.perhaps that's the reason.
I am not able to confirm the rumour.
Charles, I see these little Suzuki's often, can't remember the last sighting of a Renault 4

R4 rods are generally available in all sizes. I guess that Suzuki are as well. Finding R4 in lead indium is hard.

Charles
F10A engine was used in the old Suzuki Jimny; out of production since the 1980's I believe.
(17-01-2018, 02:13 PM)Chris KC Wrote: F10A engine was used in the old Suzuki Jimny; out of production since the 1980's I believe.

I think the Maruti cars (Suzuki built under licence in India) used the F10A motor for a lot longer until they changed to the OHC motor. Marutis were ubiquitous in India last time I was there, so hopefully getting shells for Saenz rods shouldn't be a problem in the immediate future.
Yes you're right Stuart, produced in India until about 2000 I understand. Not entirely relevant but in Rajasthan at one time being seen in a Maruti Gypsy (Jimny) carried an automatic prison sentence. They were the mount of choice for smugglers operating across the Thar between Pakistan and India!
That's interesting. It explains an incident I had in Rajasthan 10 years or so back.
Do tell, Alan!
There were 6 of us in a Landrover and stopped to photograph some animals ( not the tigers we'd hoped to see) anyway this jimney pulled in behind us and the very out of their heads occupants invited us to a party. Things got a bit aggressive when we refused. Luckily we'd not got out and the person behind the wheel had the sense to drive away, and could drive faster than they could. Scary for a minute or two though.
Point of interest, just to add to the confusion.

When chatting with Alex Myall some time ago about his rods, he claimed that his shells had a thicker "white metal" than the Renault shells. Is this true? (BTW I have found Rexbo in Germany to be the cheapest source of R4 shells with super service but not sure if they are still stocking them www.rexbo.eu).

He also claimed that he used a higher spec ARP big end bolt than Phoenix. (http://arp-bolts.com/p/technical.php). The advantage being that the Phoenix bolt should only be used a very few time whereas his could be used for 20+ applications. However they are much more expensive. If my memory serves me right, some £180 per set!

An answer always raises new questions"!