The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saenz rods - shell type?
Sounds promising...
Have the shells arrived Zeto - any success?
I've emailed Saenz and had no reply from them either.
I admired these Sainz rods on John Barlow's stand at Beaulieu Autojumble, he explained shell situation, which led me to dismiss them as an option. What i resolved to do was gather the information to prepare a drawing of a rod that is Renault at the bottom and Austin at the top, Austin length, with a Phoenix type bigend bolt. And then use the drawing to get some prices. Needless to say other projects have prevented this from happening.......
John knows the answer.
I have used Pheonix rods in my motor for 29 years so far, and frankly the fact that they don't fit down the bores is only a slight handicap that manifests itself rarely in real life, as long as you use 3 ring pistons they will go in from underneath and the little end will protrude above the top of the block enough to fit the gudgeon pin when working on an otherwise assembled engine in the car.
W
I am coming to the same conclusion Winston, many thanks - Zeto was looking into a lead, hopefully a good one.
(15-01-2018, 01:36 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I am coming to the same conclusion Winston, many thanks - Zeto was looking into a lead, hopefully a good one.

Since the Saenz rod tunnel is smaller than the Renault you could hone them to size and cut another tag slot to suit R4 shells. That is if you had a set and wanted to make use of them.
Or perhaps buy the rods that take R4 shells from John Barlow or Phoenix

[attachment=1899 Wrote:Ruairidh Dunford pid='5890' dateline='1516019796']I am coming to the same conclusion Winston, many thanks - Zeto was looking into a lead, hopefully a good one.

Hi Rory and Charles, this has been an interesting thread, I bought my Saenz rods on the assumption (never Assume anything) that they used Renault shells, it was Rory's question that alerted me to this difference as a result of which I spent a good deal of time researching possible bearings last weekend.

I ordered what I considered to be suitable shells, they arrived today, I have assembled them into one of the Saenz rods, torqued down using the proper assembly lube.The bearing internal measurement is 1.499" which will give a running clearance of .003" if the crank is bang on at 38mm.

These are Suzuki shells.There are numerous sets of these Saenz Conrods out there and while no information was forthcoming someone must have drawn/ specified the dimensions to Saenz.
Saenz provide a spec sheet to be completed by the customer ( I know this because I Had  several sets of 12/4 rods made by them a few years ago)and you need to know what shells you are going to use at this point.

Hopefully I have attached some photos which give all the informations I have.

Sorry, missed off part  number on box.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well done Zeto - I am glad I raised the question.

Are these the same type: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-Con-Rod-B...2567360658 ?
(15-01-2018, 02:28 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(15-01-2018, 01:36 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I am coming to the same conclusion Winston, many thanks - Zeto was looking into a lead, hopefully a good one.

Since the Saenz rod tunnel is smaller than the Renault you could hone them to size and cut another tag slot to suit R4 shells. That is if you had a set and wanted to make use of them.
Or perhaps buy the rods that take R4 shells from John Barlow or Phoenix

Charles, that would have been my next action if I had not found suitable shells, and no reason why it wouldn't work, just extra cost on an already expensive set of rods.
Best Wishes

(15-01-2018, 09:12 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Well done Zeto - I am glad I raised the question.

Are these the same type: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-Con-Rod-B...2567360658 ?

Yes, that's where I got mine which is probably why they took a week to arrive
Great - thank you, very useful information indeed.