The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saenz rods - shell type?
(18-01-2018, 05:29 PM)Alan Wrote: There were 6 of us in a Landrover and stopped to photograph some animals ( not the tigers we'd hoped to see) anyway this jimney pulled in behind us and the very out of their heads occupants invited us to a party. Things got a bit aggressive when we refused. Luckily we'd not got out and the person behind the wheel had the sense to drive away, and could drive faster than they could.  Scary for a minute or two though.

Hard to say whether there may have been some agenda at play. I do know though that the guy who used to take me into the desert around Jaisalmer would hang up his keys and refuse to go out on public holidays, despite large sums on offer to drive parties of over-excited Indians out to the sand dunes at Sam, where they would proceed to get drunk and raise hell. He showed me some of the wrecked jeeps and cars which convinced him the money just wasn't worth it. If it's any consolation I never saw a tiger either!
(18-01-2018, 06:05 PM)Martin Baker Wrote: Point of interest, just to add to the confusion.

When chatting with Alex Myall some time ago about his rods, he claimed that his shells had a thicker "white metal" than the Renault shells. Is this true? (BTW I have found Rexbo in Germany to be the cheapest source of R4 shells with super service but not sure if they are still stocking them www.rexbo.eu).

He also claimed that he used a higher spec ARP big end bolt than Phoenix. (http://arp-bolts.com/p/technical.php). The advantage being that the Phoenix bolt should only be used a very few time whereas his could be used for 20+ applications. However they are much more expensive. If my memory serves me right, some £180 per set!

An answer always raises new questions"

Phoenix rod bolts are ARP2000. The Saenz ones are the higher spec ARP material called L19. Both are very high duty metals. 
I always thought that reusability of these sort of fasteners was dependent upon the correct torque and stretch being used, not limited by the number of times they are installed.

Charles
(18-01-2018, 11:57 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(18-01-2018, 06:05 PM)Martin Baker Wrote: Point of interest, just to add to the confusion.

When chatting with Alex Myall some time ago about his rods, he claimed that his shells had a thicker "white metal" than the Renault shells. Is this true? (BTW I have found Rexbo in Germany to be the cheapest source of R4 shells with super service but not sure if they are still stocking them www.rexbo.eu).

He also claimed that he used a higher spec ARP big end bolt than Phoenix. (http://arp-bolts.com/p/technical.php). The advantage being that the Phoenix bolt should only be used a very few time whereas his could be used for 20+ applications. However they are much more expensive. If my memory serves me right, some £180 per set!

An answer always raises new questions"

Phoenix rod bolts are ARP2000. The Saenz ones are the higher spec ARP material called L19. Both are very high duty metals. 
I always thought that reusability of these sort of fasteners was dependent upon the correct torque and stretch being used, not limited by the number of times they are installed.

Charles
Hi Charles,
You are correct ,the reusability  In general ARP recommend if the stretch is more than .001 to replace them
Colin
Help Please
Who can help me with what shells the Hadley 45 rods take and how they compare with the rest of the rods . This is a new adventure for me tend to think at almost 80 yrs i have lost it completely ???
(20-01-2018, 10:31 AM)Oallashtimber40 Wrote: Help Please
Who can help me with what shells the Hadley 45 rods take and how they compare with the rest of the rods . This is a new adventure for me tend to think at almost 80 yrs i have lost it completely ???

Renault 4.Here's the spec sheet for Hadley rods

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I used a couple of Hadley Rod sets a few years back - they were a joy to assemble, the big end orientation at an angle so they were able to go down the bore easily.
Hadley rods are a work of art. They should sell them in sets of five so you can keep one on the mantelpiece.
Alan Fairless