The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water pump solutions
I have mucked around with a couple of things myself but would be interested in hearing about any successful water pump installations other members have come up with?
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Ian, as you know I haven't got to using it yet but I got one of these type of pumps to play with. They call them booster pumps: http://daviescraig.com.au/product/ebp15-...t-12v-9001

Simon
I fitted one of those pumps to a Hamblin Cadet few years back - it was positioned under the dynamo.

I initially controlled it via a flick switch but then changed to a thermostatic control. Pump worked fine on 6v and the battery held up but the car was not used over huge distances.

EDIT: thinking back - I am certain that we located a 6v version intended for bikes??
(05-01-2018, 08:46 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: I have mucked around with a couple of things myself but would be interested in hearing about any successful water pump installations other members have come up with?

I built an Ulster type one from scratch for my engine using a modern ceramic seal type bearing. 
Shout if you want details but I suspect that you are looking for a "bolt on" approach for a coil engine.

Charles
I have played around with the Davis Craig booster pumps and as Ruairidh states they appear to be quite happy on 6v, although the volume pumped reduces but that is no issue. Charles I would be interested in what you did creating your Ulster pump for a project in waiting. I was wondering what solutions people had found utilising Kart Pumps, Stuart Turner pumps and the like, even modified car or M/C pumps, there was a common enough mod in the 80's using a Fiesta pump if my memory serves me correctly. One of the challenges is pump direction, and the other space to fit the pump into, I am looking for something that can be incorporated into a reasonably conventional engine bay layout.
Black Art Enthusiast
Just remember chaps that electric water pumps are a complete  no no as far as the VSCC are concerned (don’t ask me why) but you are fine with an electric fan. 
David.

Just remember chaps that electric water pumps are a complete  no no as far as the VSCC are concerned (don’t ask me why) but you are fine with an electric fan. 
David.
That is ridiculous, the VSCC should be banning both if they are being true to their philosophy of cars running "in period"
Black Art Enthusiast
You generally need a water pump when you try to make your engine produce more power, so the water pump is related to a chosen route of development and therefore should be somewhat period.
Old cars overheat in modern cities and traffic and that's not due to a wilful desire to go faster, merely a function of the congestion in the U.K., hence the tolerance for electric fans.

I'll work out a description Ian. From memory Hillman Imp pumps are a very useful bolt on as well.

Charles
(05-01-2018, 09:29 PM)Charles P Wrote: You generally need a water pump when you try to make your engine produce more power, so the water pump is related to a chosen route of development and therefore should be somewhat period.
Old cars overheat in modern cities and traffic and that's not due to a wilful desire to go faster, merely a function of the congestion in the U.K., hence the tolerance for electric fans.

Charles

That's exactly it. When I had my perfectly standard spec P Type Lea Francis that had no water pump or mechanical fan it was impossible to take it out in modern town/city traffic without overheating. The electric fan I fitted enabled me to use the car as you would normally expect to. Friends living in central London with a vintage Alvis 12/50 similarly specified from new could only take it out on Sunday mornings as at any other time, the traffic congestion was such that it would overheat before they'd gone any distance at all. Again, an electric fan solved that. You just have to remember to turn them on before the engine overheats. Turning them on when things are boiling is too late and achieves all but nothing. 

Steve
I know ,old chap, and none of my cars have them, but where does it actually say, in the eligibility documents that electric water pumps are banned?