The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"go and buy a Caterham instead..."
in the engine thread, this was mentioned in jest in passing. 

However, in scrutinising their present offerings previously (while ill in bed over Xmas), I was surprised that there is a very Seven like offering on their books.

660cc, 450kg

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/cars/seven-160

Finding the Autocar review from as far back as 2015 or so, it clearly is quite a Marmite, but well loved, car. Anyone driven one?

about the same cost as an Austin 7 engine. Bargain. Big Grin
Mate of mine had one in the 1970s, a Mark IV Seven with a Ford BDA Cosworth 1800 in it. Went like shit to about 100mph and cornered on rails. Frightened me to death first time I went out in it with him. Not the easiest thing to get in and out of, even with the roof down. Only place to rest your left foot was on the clutch pedal so it had a huge return spring to compensate. Setting off was very A7 ish. All or nothing. Good for an adrenaline junky. Best used roof down wearing a crash helmet because the screen is useless.
And then go and change the engine for a 1300 Hayabusa that has 200bhp as standard, much, much more when tuned and you've got a rocket ship that has supercar beating performance. Engines available second hand on ebay for under £2k.

Steve
I have a 1600cc Kent engined Caterham, fitted with a XR4i gearbox, now lodged at my daughter's and who raced and sprinted it for a couple of years. Lovely machine and similar performance to the 160 mentioned. Unfortunately no space in my garage. The 160 sounds sensible as some of Caterham's products are just way over the top for use on the road.

Chris
My Series 3 Lotus Seven, which I had in the early seventies, had a Ford 1600 crossflow engine with about 85bhp, so similar to this modern offering, if maybe a tad heavier. More than enough power for thrashing around the Yorkshire Dales, with controllable oversteer on tap. In those days I was a smoker, and always felt a bit cool stubbing my fag out on the tarmac without having to lean down. The other benefit was not having to pay in car parks with the lift up barriers! Cannot now believe I sold it for £500.
I had a ride in my friend’s Caterham in France two summers ago - I understand it had around 200bhp.

It was absolutely terrifying - he did a standing start to 80mph which took most of my, already receding, hairline off.

I rode pinion on a powerful motorcycle years ago - once in a lifetime was sufficient for that as well.
(04-01-2018, 04:52 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I had a ride in my friend’s Caterham in France two summers ago - I understand it had around 200bhp.

It was absolutely terrifying - he did a standing start to 80mph which took most of my, already receding, hairline off.  

I rode pinion on a powerful motorcycle years ago - once in a lifetime was sufficient for that as well.

or pillion even. I once managed to hit the rev limiter in 6th gear (top) on my mate's Yamaha R1 coming down from Creg-ny-Ba to Signpost one February afternoon. He lived in Douglas at the time. Probably about 183mph. Quite exhilarating. (mega understatement)
You are quite correct! Can you tell that I have only been on one once?

It was chain driven so I cannot even claim to have rested my foot on the pinion tube...
I remember driving one in 1977 I think it was, it had a Cosworth engine from memory. I must admit I'd like a 160 with the Suzuki engine in. The wife and I had a Suzuki Cappucino 20 years ago and I assume the 160 engine is a very similar 3 cylinder job. I like the retro look of the 160 version of the car.

Arthur
(04-01-2018, 08:55 PM)merlinart Wrote: I remember driving one in 1977 I think it was, it had a Cosworth engine from memory. I must admit I'd like a 160 with the Suzuki engine in. The wife and I had a Suzuki Cappucino 20 years ago and I assume the 160 engine is a very similar 3 cylinder job. I like the retro look of the 160 version of the car.

Arthur

I find the Saloon at 50 mph in traffic is exciting enough - I will leave the hot rods to the daredevils !

Cheers, Tony.