The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster rear bulkheads

Chris beat me to it but this is the best photo I can get at the moment of the tail in my CC Ulster body. Ignore the cross tube, that's a 'Yorkshire' modification.

Steve

Hi All, thank you for all the posts. I'm attaching a photo of the on side bulkhead. It does exist and I didn't accurately remember how far up it went, as per Tony's post. What I have now discovered, is that the the bulkhead is there, but is not attached at the sides. It is also over, rather than under the wing backing plate. Chalk this down to just receiving the car, poor eyes and age. I have no idea how it is attached at the bottom. It appears that I need to fabricate new wing backing plates which are attached over the riveted bulkhead. That leaves me with several questions. Chris Gould's book notes that the backing plates are 18 gauge steel and offset with a cut for the bulkhead. So here are my questions to stay with what was originally used.

1. The backing plates are aluminum. Should I use steel or aluminum?
2. What rivets to use? Round head aluminum or counter sunk and flush.
3. How is bulkhead attached at the bottom? I can't find any rivets or welds. There is a flange. But I can't seem to get my head around how the flange holds the bulkhead in the tail.

Best,

Erich
I am not near my own CC body but have sketched the differences below.

The circular (steel) wing bracket brace has a slot in it which allows it to be fitted over the rearmost bulkhead.

The body is an early one manufactured in the 1980s and came with a further pressed bracing piece shown in the sketch.  

My car has full touring wings and was used for a number of long distance trips in my youth (we drove nearly 6k miles in under a month on one such holiday) - we carried camping equipment on the running boards and in the tail and this caused the body to break up.  I fitted large aluminium strengthening plates either side of the tail (inside and out) and also up near the windscreen supports where damage was appearing.

I am sure this damage was down to abuse rather than any fault in the design.  The repair looks akin to a 1950s aircraft repair.

You can see the repair plates on the photos I have to hand...

Ruairidh, what I'm seeing from your sketches and Chris Gould's book, as compares to mine, are that my backing plates are alloy, rather than 18 gauge steel and they are smaller. Further, they are fastened under, rather than over the bulkhead, the ends of which are not fastened to the sides of the body. So I need to remove the wing brackets, straighten the little bend on the bottom sides of both ends of the bulkhead, and rivet them to the body. Are the rivets I would use round head alloy rivets, or countersunk flush? As well, if the proper brackets are readily available in the UK, it may be easier to buy a pair pre made, rather than fabricate over here. Can anyone confirm these two things?(rivet type and availability of ready made inner wing brackets)

Erich
I would contact Compound Curvatures direct and ask them what they recommend.
Thank you Ruairidh, I'm already planning on talking to CC. Does anyone know how the bottom of the bulkhead is attached?

Erich
(06-01-2018, 04:08 AM)Erich Wrote: Thank you Ruairidh, I'm already planning on talking to CC. Does anyone know how the bottom of the bulkhead is attached?

Erich

I think it's welded Erich