The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster rear bulkheads
I've an Ulster Rep with a body made by Compound Curvatures in about 1992. It just arrived here in Seattle and I've noted that according to the Chris Gould book, there should be two bulkheads in the rear, boxing in the spare and stiffening the rear. I don't have these bulkheads. Is impossible to retrofit these bulkheads or is it too late? Are these bulkheads original to Ulsters?

Erich in Seattle
(04-01-2018, 06:24 AM)Erich Wrote: I've an Ulster Rep with a body made by Compound Curvatures in about 1992. It just arrived here in Seattle and I've noted that according to the Chris Gould book, there should be two bulkheads in the rear, boxing in the spare and stiffening the rear. I don't have these bulkheads. Is impossible to retrofit these bulkheads or is it too late? Are these bulkheads original to Ulsters?

Erich in Seattle

Erich

Do you mean the two steel panels going across the lower part of the tail sandwiching the spare wheel well? Pictures would help.

Charles
I am surprised that a compound curvatures body would not have these already fitted. There are patterns available that Chris Gould used to supply with his body's which are reasonably accurate, however there is likely to be some fitting and fettling to suit your individual car. Is the spare wheel well in place or is that also missing? As Charles said pictures would be helpful.
Black Art Enthusiast
(04-01-2018, 07:49 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: I am surprised that a compound curvatures body would not have these already fitted. There are patterns available that Chris Gould used to supply with his body's which are reasonably accurate, however there is likely to be some fitting and fettling to suit your individual car. Is the spare wheel well in place or is that also missing? As Charles said pictures would be helpful.

They are in CC bodies as standard.
Quite why anyone would remove them beats me

Charles
Mine's a CC body and yes I have them, and yes I think you should not only fit them, but add some bracing between them, and the floor. I think he's still producing these bodies isn't he?
Likewise and yes he is.
Compound Curvatures 'About Us' page:

http://www.themgk3.co.uk/aboutus.html
Hi erich,

Are you sure they are not there?

When they are called bulkhead, to me they are not traditional bulkheads. As in floor to ceiling.

You have the wheel well, and either side are two support plates. I beleive in a V shape. ( bulkheads ).

Tony.
Hi Tony,

I'll take another look and post some photos. The aftermost bulkhead, according to Chris Gould's book, should intersect with the circular mudguard bracket which is relieved to take the top part of the bulkhead. On mine, this is not the case.

Best,

Erich
Erich, these two photos show what the CC body looks like 'as built' (during stripdown!) and also the reinforcement I added to mine (during rebuild) which boxes in the whole back end right down to the floor in the tail and makes it much stronger. You can't see in the pic but there are also shelf brackets supporting the tail section floor off the back of the spare wheel well. I wouldn't claim it's the best solution but it's a huge improvement in terms of strength and stiffness.