The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing gasket
I would suggest the problem may not be the stud leaking at all, but more likely the face of the block and or the head is not flat, Gasket failure in this area is strongly indicating to me that this is the case.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks all
Thought I would give a quick update.
One point just to clarify is that the stud with the bubbling water leak was not where the gasket failed, I just thought it prudent to take the opportunity to sort it out.

Anyway, I added some Loctite to the stud and left it for a day to seep wherever it wanted. I also had a good look at the stud where the gasket had failed. It is a stud previously (before my ownership) helicoiled.

Looking at it, there is a shallow scratch from the stud to the edge of the bore. It looks like something where perhaps the drill slipped whilst helicoiling. Anyway I cleaned it out and then added some metal filler, the 2 part putty type. I gave it a couple of days and smoothed over with 1000 grit and it seems to have levelled it off nicely leaving a narrow faint line of filler in the scratch. I know the real answer is a skim, but I am going to see how this goes first from a cost basis. I also soaked it in the Loctite.

All then back together with blue goo and having given it time to settle before retightening I took the plunge today and started her up.
All seems OK. running sweetly, no water bubbling from anywhere.

I know I need to give it a few miles and then another tighten before I can be more confident but I am hoping I can avoid the cost and work of a skim.

Thanks again
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Hi,
Just an idea that has worked for me.
You can stop the leak by using gasket goo under the washer and nut.
 I now use big end nuts to hold the head down on my engine 
Blocks also have a habit of splitting between the head stud and waterways which allows water to migrate up the stud.
I ran a split block for years. Helicoils are another good place for water leaks.

I expect your missing bit of gasket went out through the exhaust,

Cheers Richard.