The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice - Chassis modifications
I have a handbook 1400D dated april 37, which contains a list of 384 chassis numbers supplied to the war office. These chassis numbers begin at 276059 through to 277349.  There were earlier contracts for 223 cars and 253 cars that may fit your chassis number,  someone may have an earlier handbook . Not much help i,m afraid,  cheers  Russell
(17-01-2018, 12:11 AM)squeak Wrote: I have a handbook 1400D dated april 37, which contains a list of 384 chassis numbers supplied to the war office. These chassis numbers begin at 276059 through to 277349.  There were earlier contracts for 223 cars and 253 cars that may fit your chassis number,  someone may have an earlier handbook . Not much help i,m afraid,  cheers  Russell

Hi Russell,

Thanks for that. Does the handbook list the entire number? I can try to source a slightly earlier handbook if it does. 

Thanks,
Chris
Chris the handbook lists every chassis number that was included in contract 3082 but your chassis number is earlier. The list is the first and last page in the standard 1400D handbook . I have all the 1400 series books which go back to 1936 and no others have this inclusion so buying an earlier handbook will not necessarily provide the lists you are looking for, UNLESS the vendor mentions it. 

I do not in fact have the even later book 1400 E for which I wrote a piece in the old forum putting forward the theory E was reserved for export editions. I would be interested if anyone has one  to prove one way or the other.  cheers  Russell
(18-01-2018, 01:38 AM)squeak Wrote: Chris the handbook lists every chassis number that was included in contract 3082 but your chassis number is earlier. The list is the first and last page in the standard 1400D handbook . I have all the 1400 series books which go back to 1936 and no others have this inclusion so buying an earlier handbook will not necessarily provide the lists you are looking for, UNLESS the vendor mentions it. 

I do not in fact have the even later book 1400 E for which I wrote a piece in the old forum putting forward the theory E was reserved for export editions. I would be interested if anyone has one  to prove one way or the other.  cheers  Russell

Russell,

I have a complete original copy of 1400D April 37 in good  order which does not include this Chassis Number listing.

Tony.
Thanks for that Tony, I did assume that the regular  D handbooks would not contain the war department inclusion. Have you perchance come across an E edition ? We might expect to come across these in Australia.
The following paragraphs were lifted from the old forum....

Handbooks 352 A through to R  do  contain the edition "E"
Parts lists 353 A through to P     do  contain the edition "E"
Price lists 478 A through to L      do  contain the edition "E"
Rep.charges 540 A through to J do  contain the edition "E"

All subsequent books 1928 onwards of each title do NOT contain edition "E" even when they run to edition F. 
EXCEPT 972E which happens to be by WOC in German.
It therefore seems likely that the letter E was reserved for Export. 
Does anyone have E editions to disprove my theory cheers Russell
(18-01-2018, 01:38 AM)squeak Wrote: Chris the handbook lists every chassis number that was included in contract 3082 but your chassis number is earlier. The list is the first and last page in the standard 1400D handbook . I have all the 1400 series books which go back to 1936 and no others have this inclusion so buying an earlier handbook will not necessarily provide the lists you are looking for, UNLESS the vendor mentions it. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It’s very useful information. 

Best,
Chris
(03-01-2018, 08:43 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I suspect this is more likely to be a late AVJ van chassis; they will have been far more common than the military model.

Thanks Mike, I’ll look into that too. 

Either way, it seems unlikely to find a suitable body. 

Best,
Chris
(18-01-2018, 02:55 AM)squeak Wrote: Thanks for that Tony, I did assume that the regular  D handbooks would not contain the war department inclusion. Have you perchance come across an E edition ? We might expect to come across these in Australia.
The following paragraphs were lifted from the old forum....

Handbooks 352 A through to R  do  contain the edition "E"
Parts lists 353 A through to P     do  contain the edition "E"
Price lists 478 A through to L      do  contain the edition "E"
Rep.charges 540 A through to J do  contain the edition "E"

All subsequent books 1928 onwards of each title do NOT contain edition "E" even when they run to edition F. 
EXCEPT 972E which happens to be by WOC in German.
It therefore seems likely that the letter E was reserved for Export. 
Does anyone have E editions to disprove my theory cheers Russell

Russell,

I have a Handbook 1316A dated 11/35 with a regular ink pad stamping as below -

'IMPORTANT The  specifications set out herein refer to the English Models only and do not necessarily apply to the cars sold in Victoria by Austin Distributors Ltd.'

I think I have a pre 1930 handbook with a similar stamping in one of the cars.

No later edition E books, although as with Meccano, when the colonial book wasn't available for export then the first to hand was included.

Cheers Tony.