The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice - Chassis modifications
Hello,

I have a 1937 chassis which appears to have been modified to allow it to sit much lower than it would normally, obviously with flattened springs. The bush connector has a lowered three rivet fitting, I wondered if this was particular to a model or likely a racing modification? Other than the chassis register, is there any other way of finding how a chassis number (2708**) may have been registered? Do the 750mc keep a record of chassis numbers for instance? Is there anywhere else I could look?

It was bought earlier this year from eBay along with a few other parts, previously in the collection of a Dr Holmes - Pickering. I have little history other than this. It's been known as a chassis in this state since 1970 at least.

My intention was to return the car to the road but not sure if I would have to remove this fitting and replace it with the correct 4 bolt bush connector to pass an inspection. Is it even worth trying to build a special now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Your torque tube bracket looks very similar to those fitted to the very late chrome rad. military two seaters.

The last one I worked on had 3 bearing engine, semi girling axles, Ruby steering box, 17” wheels and a front petrol tank (with sender) on a Box Saloon Chassis.

Can you photograph the whole chassis.
(02-01-2018, 06:42 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Your torque tube bracket looks very similar to those fitted to the very late chrome rad. military two seaters.

The last one I worked on had 3 bearing engine, semi girling axles, Ruby steering box, 17” wheels and a front petrol tank (with sender) on a Box Saloon Chassis.

Can you photograph the whole chassis.

Hi, thanks for that. 

I hadn't thought they would be any different. Oddly, I don't have an image of the whole chassis, just the attached at the moment.

I'll continue following that thread, the chassis number falls between two APE Opal builds, would they have built military versions at the same time?

Best,
Chris

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_6702.jpg (Size: 90.55 KB / Downloads: 678)
.jpg   IMG_6725.jpg (Size: 114.78 KB / Downloads: 678)
Your chassis number is very late.  The later Austin 7's had a much simpler torque tube anchor.   This had a rubber bush (silentbloc) rather than a ball and socket.  The torque anchor sits between the arms of your bracket with a bolt through.
It is easy to fit the later anchor to an earlier torque tube.
I think that you almost certainly have one of these obscure late chrome rad two seater chassis as described above.

What are your plans for it?
(03-01-2018, 12:08 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I think that you almost certainly have one of these obscure late chrome rad two seater chassis as described above.

Thanks Ruairidh and Malcolm. I’ll continue searching for information for now but my original intention was to build up what I had as a two seat trials / special.  

I’m not sure where I would begin to get a body for something like this, perhaps it makes more sense to pass it on to someone with a military car already and buy something more appropriate. Then again maybe not. I need to find either a ‘34 chassis or a ‘37 engine as I have bits of both ages. 

Thanks again,

Chris

(03-01-2018, 12:08 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I think that you almost certainly have one of these obscure late chrome rad two seater chassis as described above.

Thanks Ruairidh and Malcolm. I’ll continue searching for information for now but my original intention was to build up what I had as a two seat trials / special.  

I’m not sure where I would begin to get a body for something like this, perhaps it makes more sense to pass it on to someone with a military car already and buy something more appropriate. Then again maybe not. I need to find either a ‘34 chassis or a ‘37 engine as I have bits of both ages. 

Thanks again,

Chris
I suspect this is more likely to be a late AVJ van chassis; they will have been far more common than the military model.
(03-01-2018, 08:43 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I suspect this is more likely to be a late AVJ van chassis; they will have been far more common than the military model.

Thanks Mike, I’ll look into that too. 

Either way, it seems unlikely to find a suitable body. 

Best,
Chris
(03-01-2018, 08:43 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I suspect this is more likely to be a late AVJ van chassis; they will have been far more common than the military model.

Highly likely to be one and the same.
(04-01-2018, 12:17 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:

Highly likely to be one and the same.

Out of interest, do you think there might be a list of Military chassis numbers anywhere? Would David Morgan be a good start? 

Starting to think it might be best built up as a tourer, assuming I can find some bodywork.