The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More pictures
(01-01-2018, 08:57 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: I take your point Mike, but we are not using these pictures for commercial gain and we probably technically infringe copyright on a large proportion of photographs in the Gallery.

I agree, Ian; Chris' concern is that a condition of him displaying the images is that the LAT reference is included. I think he will be happy if we mention the link to the Minor site and quote the individual LAT reference number. That way if anyone wants a high res version, they know to contact LAT, and everyone is happy! It's an unfortunate fact that copyright pics can so easily be 'lifted' on the internet, but I think the least we can do is credit the source where possible. Even the so-called professionals do it: Getty Images have at least two of my own photos on their website quoted as Getty copyright! It doesn't bother me - i find it quite amusing - but others can be very jealous of their property.
(01-01-2018, 08:57 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: I take your point Mike, but we are not using these pictures for commercial gain and we probably technically infringe copyright on a large proportion of photographs in the Gallery.

No technically about it. Unless you have the authority of the the copyright holder to use it for an agreed purpose you are infringing copyright. Having said that for non commercial use nobody is likely to get upset and copyright will expires 50 - 70 years after the death of the creator unless owned by a third party. It is all very complicated which is why copyright lawyers are rich people. Just for the avoidance of doubt ALL images are copyright, even your holiday snaps, the act of publishing them in any form even electronically i.e. display on you computer automatically copyrights them. Contrary to popular belief they do not have to be marked copyright.
I’ll put the soapbox away now.
It was puzzling that the stranded Seven had been left for several tides but all explained. Some local should be able to identify the harbour or estuary. They must have done a lot of work to receive £120! Or was it £12? Fortunately no computer but the instruments and much else would need more than a wash out. The final owner would have been thrilled to learn the full story. Nowadays  he would sue.
A popular large weekly magazine here used to often run photos of cars caught on the open 90 mile beach. If a full tide passed with waves the cars would be pummelled and utterly destroyed.
I lived near an extensive beach. Before cellphones and 4WDs everywhere many got caught. By the time owner had hiked to a farm or phone the tide was in. A  stream was a common downfall. Usually inches deep, would sometimes from channels and drivers did not check first., After a forward lurch water came through the pedals on a colleagues Ruby. Not ideal for roller main bearings.
The stranded seven location looks like Openoni, south side of the Hokianga Harbour. It looks like the north head sand dunes in the background of the photo. I can’t think of any view along 90 mile beach that looks like this.

Bryan
Still very much a local entertainment here. The ice cream man films his customers' cars going under, he has given up suggesting they move, they neither listen nor understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2QclcT6F-I
(01-01-2018, 03:52 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: GE Stadium

Mulliner

Matchless Hawk

Boyd Carpenter

1931 Arrow sports

Burghley

1924/5 Sports

Taylor

Taylor Ace
Hi Ian, thanks for these photos A real pleasure to see them.Do you happen to have a rear view of the 1931 Arrow. Best Wishes Gene
The story of the Auckland Wellington return trip has been covered, but is much known about the Invercargill Auckland venture?
The Boyd Carpenter seems to have an ohv engine. Was this conversion the norm? What is known about?
Maybe the giant lever was connected by chain to the crosshaft. Could add to the 3 or so cwt on pedal.
i could have used the Tickford air brake on occasions.
The absence of cars in street scenes a huge contrast with today. Even photos from the 50s and 60s now seem bare.
Hi Gene, I am afraid I do not have the rear view of the 31 Arrow Sports
Black Art Enthusiast
RE posting images from my site:

Fine by me, best bet is to use the ones with watermarks in and link back to the page on the site.

Also LAT don't own the photos from Light Car & Cycle Car. The archive that holds them recently changed hands, (last few years) and they are being put online. If I remember where they are I'll post a link.

LAT have Autocar, The Motor & Motorsport. The photos on my site are pretty much all from Autocar.
(04-01-2018, 07:14 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: ... The Boyd Carpenter seems to have an ohv engine. Was this conversion the norm? What is known about?

The ohv conversion is almost certainly an LAP head made by LAP Engineering of Kilburn (north London). I don't think they were a standard fitting on Boyd Carpenters, but quite a few BCs did have them. This is one that I owned about fifty years ago; it went to a BC down in Cornwall:

.jpg   LAP head.800.jpg (Size: 63.2 KB / Downloads: 415)