The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Works Van Colour
Apparently the factory had a service van in their company colour.

.jpg   5302984423_94931d19a5_b.jpg (Size: 70.94 KB / Downloads: 555)
Does anyone know what colour it was ?  I thought I had read somewhere that it was Maroon, but no other details given such as wheel and wing colour and the colour of the "Austin " script.

Any help you can offer would be gratefully received.
Stephen
Hi all,
I'm going to "bump" this to see if one of our really knowledgeable historians can solve this puzzle.

Thanks,
Stephen
First of all, I'm not convinced this was a 'Factory service van'; I cannot envisage a situation where the Austin Motor Company would have used such a vehicle, and the original print was not an Austin production. It could just as easily have been an enterprising local dealer or service organisation. As for colour, there's virtually no way of knowing due to the characteristics of the pre-panchromatic film. I think I can safely say it was not blue, or a shade of a colour containing blue (green or purple) as blue was the only colour in the spectrum to react on the film and create a light tone on the print. It could be a red shade, but it could just as easily be, for instance, bright yellow with dark blue lettering!
Even with panchromatic, interpretation of colour in a black and white photo is subjective at the very least...

.jpg   1929-panchromatic.jpg (Size: 23.44 KB / Downloads: 301)
brings up a question I've had for some time: is there a listing, or production cards that show the original colors of Austins (e.g. I have one for my '58 Rolls)? Steve
Not an exhaustive collection, I'm sure. I know earlier sets exist and would dearly love to track them down and add them to the resource..

http://archive.a7ca.org/collections/paints-and-colours/
Is there any resource within the archive or elswhere that matches the original colours to modern paint colours/codes?
If not, i'm sure it would be very helpful to all - if we could pull together a list of colours with contributions from owners of very close matches.
Adam Brown at Craftmaster paints has had access to the swatches and can supply matched paints...
Thank you for this, but probably not so handy to me as I am in Northern Ireland.

I was looking for colour codes that can be used with any paint supplier, at the moment I am particularly interested in the racing Ulster orange/red. (if there was a standardised colour for this).

Sorry if we are getting a bit off track with this.
Mikes post is spot on. For reference, the tractor would have been blue.