The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sticking clutch?
Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me on how to get my 1931 A7 clutch back to normal. The pedal seems to be very slow coming back up and total lack of any speed when moving off. It's been getting worse over time.  The clutch is not old and has only done around 500 miles from when new clutch. Is it a clutch problem or something else? Any ideas?
In 50 odd years I've never experienced a Seven clutch being slow to engage, usually it is difficulty in disengaging. By writing this it will bring your problem to the top of the page where some body may know the answer.
I have experienced problems like this when the clutch toggle pillars are a tight fit in the cover plate.

This particular issue gets worse the warmer the parts get.

What did you replace when rebuilding the clutch?
I have had this happen when the release bearing is binding, slightly, on the nose that it slides on on the gearbox front cover plate. Lubrication via the release bearing oiler should help but only if the hole in the release bearing housing that leads the oil to the gearbox nose is clear.

As a temporary fix and to prove the above one way or the other, remove the release bearing oiler cover plate, have someone depress the clutch pedal and hold it there and, carefully, spray a quick shot of WD40 or similar on the bit of the nose exposed behind the release bearing. Then work the clutch a few times to see if it improves.

Steve
Thank you I will try this and see if it works.
(30-12-2017, 09:08 PM)Austin Boys Wrote: Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me on how to get my 1931 A7 clutch back to normal. The pedal seems to be very slow coming back up and total lack of any speed when moving off. It's been getting worse over time.  The clutch is not old and has only done around 500 miles from when new clutch. Is it a clutch problem or something else? Any ideas?

I think you have an assembly problem!
J
I live and learn