The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Austin Main Agents / Dealers
(08-03-2018, 12:09 AM)Tony Press Wrote: Hi Douglas,

That is the one - on page 6 there is a small sticker:

'Please Note- OXTON CARRIAGE Co. Ltd. Woodchurch Rd. should appear under the heading BIRKENHEAD.'

I would like a copy of the front and back covers, thank you.   

Could you email to datatree@alphalink.com.au

Cheers, Tony.

Thank you for your help in  providing a copy of this book Douglas.

This proved that my coverless book was in fact the 1937 edition - and it now has a proper cover including the missing back page.

Cheers, Tony.
Hi All

Pulling together all the Austin Dealers in one file with images proved to be a problem with the file size and I kept finding information on the other makes of cars, a lot of which I was not aware of and it seamed a shame to lose the information on the other makes.

I blame JonE for this bit, I set up a website/blog for all the information.  Before you lose interest as it has other makes of cars, the info so far does appear to be predominantly Austin and I stopped the information in 1939 so just prewar.  The site is split into each registration area for UK and Ireland and separate section for overseas.  I have quite a bit on New Zealand so those dealers may be next.

Thanks to JonE for his help and keeping it quiet while I got it set up with some content.  So far I have 25 Dealerships with details, and over 2,000 to go, although if the name or address changed they are in there twice or if I have used the info from a Michelin Guide which lists who they were agents for then that is a separate entry.  Have a look it should make sense then I hope...

What about the Austin dealers merged into one list? I hear you cry..  Squeak has lent me a his Dealers books and so far I have merged his 1929 copy with the 1936 from the association and 1937 from the David in the Devon A7 Club.  All this is still in one file/list with no additional info so just as Austin would have collated all the info over the years.  Why they listed the London Dealers alphabetical and not by area, don't know but to a long time to sort through.  The updated list is on the Help / Resources section,  if you can't find it i'll make it more obvious.

I have added some adverts to the dealers information.  Some do show that you can't trust the iillustration, if you look at Pass and Joyce you will see and image of the shop front but when you look at their other shop front image they changed the signs on the shop to suit the make of car advertised.

The above may be to much info, and the website may be to complex, who knows.  But have a look click on Updates / News on the left and scroll down, or scroll down and click on "Austin" on the left.

Thanks for those who shared information with me, I will ask if I can use on the website in a PM or just let me know.

www.prewardealerships.wordpress.com

Douglas
Douglas,

You've taken on quite a task there! All pretty impressive so far; another source for details is the RAC and AA handbooks over the years.
(24-03-2018, 08:14 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: Hi All

Pulling together all the Austin Dealers in one file with images proved to be a problem with the file size and I kept finding information on the other makes of cars, a lot of which I was not aware of and it seamed a shame to lose the information on the other makes.

I blame JonE for this bit, I set up a website/blog for all the information.  Before you lose interest as it has other makes of cars, the info so far does appear to be predominantly Austin and I stopped the information in 1939 so just prewar.  The site is split into each registration area for UK and Ireland and separate section for overseas.  I have quite a bit on New Zealand so those dealers may be next.

Thanks to JonE for his help and keeping it quiet while I got it set up with some content.  So far I have 25 Dealerships with details, and over 2,000 to go, although if the name or address changed they are in there twice or if I have used the info from a Michelin Guide which lists who they were agents for then that is a separate entry.  Have a look it should make sense then I hope...

What about the Austin dealers merged into one list? I hear you cry..  Squeak has lent me a his Dealers books and so far I have merged his 1929 copy with the 1936 from the association and 1937 from the David in the Devon A7 Club.  All this is still in one file/list with no additional info so just as Austin would have collated all the info over the years.  Why they listed the London Dealers alphabetical and not by area, don't know but to a long time to sort through.  The updated list is on the Help / Resources section,  if you can't find it i'll make it more obvious.

I have added some adverts to the dealers information.  Some do show that you can't trust the iillustration, if you look at Pass and Joyce you will see and image of the shop front but when you look at their other shop front image they changed the signs on the shop to suit the make of car advertised.

The above may be to much info, and the website may be to complex, who knows.  But have a look click on Updates / News on the left and scroll down, or scroll down and click on "Austin" on the left.

Thanks for those who shared information with me, I will ask if I can use on the website in a PM or just let me know.

www.prewardealerships.wordpress.com

Douglas
Douglas,

Here's a picture of a Luke & Hogg nameplate that I found on an Scottish (SH) registered RP Saloon.

Andrew Fallon
Netherlands
Douglas - excellent and interesting work, well done!

Andrew - I visit Duns a few times each year, a lovely small market town in the Scottish Borders. The local historical society hold a photo of the garage, may be worth contacting them to see if you can be sent a copy, see: http://www.dunsehistorysociety.co.uk/photo_images.shtml (scroll to Duns Streets and then North Street).
Hi All, thanks for the comments on the dealership website, I hope it is interesting to all.  I still have lots more to add to the site.

I have now set up dealers pages for all the Austin Dealers / Agents in Australia, with some interesting articles and adverts, and a badge, thanks Tony.

Please send me any additional information you have on dealers.

Oh, a bit of a request, Austin went world wide, I had a look as the Dealers in Wales and found some information but a lot of the news papers at that time are in Welsh so a bit of a challenge.  I don't suppose those A7 Friends in none English Speaking Countries could have a quick look and see what they can find out about the overseas Dealers / Agents. 

I'll have a look at New Zealand next.....

1935 The News March 7 1935 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

.jpg   1935 The News March 7 1935.jpg (Size: 137.4 KB / Downloads: 294)

(25-03-2018, 09:03 PM)Andrew Fallon Wrote: Douglas,

Here's a picture of a Luke & Hogg nameplate that I found on an Scottish (SH) registered RP Saloon.
Andrew, many thanks for sharing the badge, I can't find any dealers in the Netherlands...
This is on my APD, Reg Date 23/05/1935
Roly

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1931 RN, 1933 APD
Roland thanks for the badge image.

I have added the Austin Dealer information for New Zealand on the website, lost more dealers than the Austin Dealers list.  There are lots of interesting adverts showing how they promoted the Austin Seven plus a couple of news reports, have a look on the New Zealand page or wait for the posts for each dealer over the coming weeks.
(30-03-2018, 07:35 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: Hi All, thanks for the comments on the dealership website, I hope it is interesting to all.  I still have lots more to add to the site.

I have now set up dealers pages for all the Austin Dealers / Agents in Australia, with some interesting articles and adverts, and a badge, thanks Tony.

Please send me any additional information you have on dealers.

Oh, a bit of a request, Austin went world wide, I had a look as the Dealers in Wales and found some information but a lot of the news papers at that time are in Welsh so a bit of a challenge.  I don't suppose those A7 Friends in none English Speaking Countries could have a quick look and see what they can find out about the overseas Dealers / Agents. 

I'll have a look at New Zealand next.....

1935 The News March 7 1935 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

Andrew, many thanks for sharing the badge, I can't find any dealers in the Netherlands...

Doug, I have put out a request for information to members of the DPA7O, the Netherlands Austin Seven Club. I'll forward you any relevant feedback.
Meanwhile, here are a few names of Netherlands 20s and 30s dealerships to get you started:
Firma H.C.L. Sieberg, Scheldeplein, Amsterdam.
Maatschappij Olanda, Langestraat 118-122, Hilversum.
G. Riemer, Pletterijkade, Den Haag.
De Arnhemsche Rijtuig Maatschappij, voorheen Gebr. Riemer, Arnhem.

(26-03-2018, 07:58 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Douglas - excellent and interesting work, well done!

Andrew - I visit Duns a few times each year, a lovely small market town in the Scottish Borders.  The local historical society hold a photo of the garage, may be worth contacting them to see if you can be sent a copy, see:  http://www.dunsehistorysociety.co.uk/photo_images.shtml (scroll to Duns Streets and then North Street).
Ruairidh,

Thanks for the information. I'll urge the owner to get his dormant RP back on the road and onto the ferry over to Duns, a really sweet spot.
Andrew Fallon
Netherlands
(04-04-2018, 03:38 PM)Andrew Fallon Wrote: [quote pid='8624' dateline='1522434929']

Doug, I have put out a request for information to members of the DPA7O, the Netherlands Austin Seven Club. I'll forward you any relevant feedback.
Meanwhile, here are a few names of Netherlands 20s and 30s dealerships to get you started:
Firma H.C.L. Sieberg, Scheldeplein, Amsterdam.
Maatschappij Olanda, Langestraat 118-122, Hilversum.
G. Riemer, Pletterijkade, Den Haag.
De Arnhemsche Rijtuig Maatschappij, voorheen Gebr. Riemer, Arnhem.

[/quote]
Andrew

Thanks for requesting the information.  It gives me some thing to work on, googling the first address I found this website which is helpful and have emailed them.

https://www.conam.info/historie/importeu...hrijvingen

I have updated my site to pick up on dealerships in China.. all the adverts I found were in English which helps.

Also Switzerland thanks to Chris Gardner.