The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Austin Main Agents / Dealers
I doubt this is from an Austin dealership but will post it anyhow.

In truth I had never noticed it hidden behind the dip switch!

Some dealer badges from cars that we've worked on recently:

Woodyatt Motors, Southend, on a '34 RP

P H Vickery Ltd, Invercargill, NZ, on a '29 RK

Rippon Bros., Brentwood, on a '33 RP

Rippon's are on the list, but I don't know whether the others were official Austin dealers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I've had this one for many years. Not an Austin Agent but Burgon & Ball registered as manufacturers of the La Plata car at he beginning of the last century although there are doubts that they ever, actually, made any. They were, however, motor dealers/retailers. The company dates back to 1730 and still exists today as manufacturers of garden tools and the like.

Steve
(11-02-2018, 03:31 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: Some dealer badges from cars that we've worked on recently:

Woodyatt Motors, Southend, on a '34 RP

P H Vickery Ltd, Invercargill, NZ, on a '29 RK

Rippon Bros., Brentwood, on a '33 RP

Rippon's are on the list, but I don't know whether the others were official Austin dealers.

Woddyatt are in the publication but in WestCliffe-on-Sea, so they may have moved see if they are in the 1932 publication.

P H Vickery NZ are listed in the 1936 Austin Magazine. It is interesting that Vickery is a transfer not a badge I wonder how many have been painted over during a restoration.

I suppose at some stage there needs to be a distinction between Austin Dealers and other Dealers e.g. Ford who sold Austin’s as well,  it is in hand but will take time.

For those with a Charles Clark car this is an interesting read with images.

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles...ompany.htm
Douglas ,Bernard confirmed at lunch today that Tillys, Weymouth were a main Austin dealer , he used to work for Tilleys before they changed to Wadham Stringer.
(11-02-2018, 06:40 PM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: Douglas ,Bernard confirmed at lunch today that Tillys, Weymouth were a main Austin dealer , he used to work for Tilleys before they changed to Wadham Stringer.

Nigel

Thanks I'll check with Bernard next time I see him.  I see there is now a Tillys Cycle shop in Weymouth.

.pdf   scan0001.pdf (Size: 600.88 KB / Downloads: 47)

Another Dealer to add to list ,unfortunately no Reg Number.
Andy
(12-02-2018, 08:53 PM)Stumpi Wrote: Another Dealer to add to list ,unfortunately no Reg Number.
Andy

Hi Andy

Many thanks for sharing I think!! The image is of an Austin Dealer form 1936 but is not in the 1936 publication so either they became a dealer in 1936 after the publication or not all dealers are listed which will be a pain.  I have been lent a copy of the 1937 Publication so that may clarify it, not arrived yet.  I am aware that some invoices have all the cars information e.g. numbers on them.

.jpg   Bell Garage.jpg (Size: 71.76 KB / Downloads: 245)
Here'a another for you Douglas..

My 1933 Box saloon was supplied through Sticklands and this plate was on Ebay a while back. I went to 50 quid or so but didn't get it. I'll find one one day. Though the prevalence of the Morris allegiance doesn't make it the most appropriate addition to an Austin dash board - maybe that's why it didn't have one!!

cheers

Hugh
(21-02-2018, 05:07 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Here'a another for you Douglas..

My 1933 Box saloon was supplied through Sticklands and this plate was on Ebay a while back. I went to 50 quid or so but didn't get it. I'll find one one day. Though the prevalence of the Morris allegiance doesn't make it the most appropriate addition to an Austin dash board - maybe that's why it didn't have one!!

cheers

Hugh

Hugh

Many thanks, I do wonder if the car was sold and then resold by by another dealer say an Austin one if they swapped the badges over.

I have now merged the 1936 with the 1937 list of dealers, this may unlock who sold a particular car (sadly not our car).  The link is below. 

http://www.da7c.co.uk/History%20Section/...20'18).pdf

I have also found a number of 25 and 50 service awards for dealers, it is a shame Austin did not put a date on them!

They are 16" in diameter, this one is of H A Jackson Godalming.

.jpg   H A Jackson 1 16 inches diameter 1.jpg (Size: 13.04 KB / Downloads: 162)