The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Austin Main Agents / Dealers
(07-02-2018, 06:58 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: The First Draft of Austin Dealers and Service Agents is completed a copy can be found at the link below, still more work to do but does now provide a useful document I think to find possible dealers who sold your car.

I have some dealers badges images but looking for more if you can share an image that would be good.

http://www.da7c.co.uk/History%20Section/...20list.pdf

Any comments welcome

Thanks

Douglas

Tremendous resource. Reading through and looking at places I know, I'm seeing companies I'd not heard of as well of those that existed well into 'my' time and, indeed, still exist in a few cases. I have a dashboard plate for Binding & Payne, Central Garage, Clevedon, Somerset on one of my cars. I'll take it off and try to get a good photograph for you over the next few days. 

Steve
Douglas - all that hard work should bring some more plate images out of the woodwork over time - well done. Deserves a website all of its own!
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C959110
sounds like this has an Austin dealer plaque if anyone wants to try and get an image emailed...
Hi all thanks for the support and I hope you enjoyed the list of Dealers, I am sure there’re some typos in the list and will correct as soon as spotted.  I have uploaded the Dealers Badges in to a folder in the gallery.  The list bar any typos is as Austin believed it to be in 1936.  I believe the Publication was issued yearly, if you have a different year and can lend it to me I’ll incorporate it so we can see the changes over the years that would be great.  I would like to preserve the list of Dealers exactly as the publication but will think of a way of adding Dealers not in the publication.

Nigel thanks for the additional Dealers but they are not listed in 1936, will add some how but note as not in the publication, they may be there in different years.

A different Nigel has advised me that there where a lot more than the 2 on the IOW listed, so will see how to incorporate.

Chris Garner has pointed out that Carlton Motors in Nottingham Buxton Rd, that it is Buxton Ave.  So either an error in the publication or there was a Buxton Rd but has disappeared.  I checked a 1947 map and can only see Buxton Ave.  It may be wrong but would prefer to leave as Ave and see what other publications have as the address or add a note that the address may be wrong. Chris also pointed out a typo in the spelling of Hucknall which will be corrected in the next update.

I have still not worked out who sold our Bournemouth reg car despite having the original listing in the Authorities Archive (not the best hand writing) but I guess I may need the publication for that year.

There are a lot of Dealers Badges on eBay prices range from £20 to £200, as the images are the sellers I have asked a number of the sellers if I can use their images 9 out of 10 said yes so have a lot more badges.  Some Dealers Badges are not in the Publication but as they may appear in other years so will keep images for later.  Badges that I have seen images of but not got permission to use I’ll add the text from the badge.

Thanks.
Douglas - as the dealer badge ads are in the public domain and the items are being sold, I'd at least download the images "for your own use"... no-one is going to care after the item changes hands i.e. if you introduce them after a few months?

I tend to crop images down and change the colour balance slightly if I'm worried about people recognising things :-)
(09-02-2018, 10:50 PM)JonE Wrote: Douglas - as the dealer badge ads are in the public domain and the items are being sold, I'd at least download the images "for your own use"... no-one is going to care after the item changes hands  i.e. if you introduce them after a few months?

I tend to crop images down and change the colour balance slightly if I'm worried about people recognising things :-)

Jon all still down loaded for my reference:-)
The A7CA is forwarding Douglas a scan of their Dealer List copy, Publication 915A, dated around 1932, which is held in the Archives.
Hopefully this will add to Douglas's excellent database of dealers.

Chris. ( A7CA Archive Group )
Hello Douglas..

In another place, I have recently come across a reference to 

H.A.SAUNDERS Ltd. 836. HIGH Rd LONDON N.12.

with the comments..

"They were a major Austin dealer in 1936. 

http://www.friern-barnet.com/picture/number2913.asp

The Friern Barnet Photo Archive

No: 2913 Contributor: David Berguer Year: 1955 District: North Finchley H A Saunders

"Know Your Finchley 1955"
Picture added on 01 September 2011 at 17:29
Comments:

Saunders set up a business in the former Puget chapel in Totteridge Lane in 1919, selling reconditioned army lorries. He and his fanily lived in the old manse. He was very successful and became the largest Austin dealer in London by 1936. His showroom was replaced by Sainsbury's North Finchley.
Added by J Heathfield on 12 September 2011"

I have asked for an image of the badge from the owner. 

hth....

Hugh
Great work Douglas!  Thanks very much, this will be a really useful resource.

One minor point - Herefordshire (CJ, VJ) has become mixed up with Hertfordshire. 

A common confusion - If I had a quid for every prospective London area customer who thinks that we're 15 miles away, rather than 150.......................!!!
(10-02-2018, 05:10 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: Great work Douglas!  Thanks very much, this will be a really useful resource.

One minor point - Herefordshire (CJ, VJ) has become mixed up with Hertfordshire. 

A common confusion - If I had a quid for every prospective London area customer who thinks that we're 15 miles away, rather than 150.......................!!!

Martin

Thanks, someone also spotted this, the next revison will correct it along with London not displaying all the letters Herefordshire / Hertfordshire it should / will read.

Herefordshire CJ VJ

Hertfordshire AR JH NK RO UR

I have my head down for when people in Wales and Scotland dig deeper as the boundaries change over the years, hopefully I got it right...

I have uploaded all the Badges I have found and have permission to use the image, there are lots of different styles.  Also two of them are Ford Agents but we know that they supplied Austin cars as well which adds another layer of interest or confusion.

If you have any other badges and are happy to share please send them through to me or post them and I'll add to the list.