The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Rear Axle Hub nuts
Hi all, seeking help in respect of information for Austin 1936/37 18Hp Chalfont rear hub nuts. I have an oil leak and have tried to undo the offside nut which I understand is a normal right had thread, nut now turns both directions but will not come off shaft or retighten- it appears to be approx. 1 1/2" across flats and approx. 13/16" internal thread size. Can any member confirm if they have details of the correct size, thread type etc. I belief that the part number may have been EV50 for the offside and EV49 (left hand) for nearside. Any help guidance would be appreciated.
Hi Derekk
That is a nightmare !
I have encountered the same problem recently on a Twelve. The left hand thread is on the offside. You will have to drill and chisel the nut off, hoping that the thread on the half shaft is reusable. If not you will have to remove the shaft - tig weld the threads and re machine 7/8th 12 TPI.
You should be able to obtain new nuts left and right from Tom Titterton 01773 550401 - he is also good with advice.
Hope that is helpful and good luck !
(29-12-2017, 01:49 PM)Nick Turley Wrote: Hi Derekk
That is a nightmare !
I have encountered the same problem recently on a Twelve. The left hand thread is on the offside. You will have to drill and chisel the nut off, hoping that the thread on the half shaft is reusable. If not you will have to remove the shaft - tig weld the threads and re machine 7/8th 12 TPI.
You should be able to obtain new nuts left and right from Tom Titterton 01773 550401 - he is also good with advice.
Hope that is helpful and good luck !

Many thanks for the info - are you saying that the offside thread is turned anti clockwise to tighten - ie backwards - in which case I turned it the wrong way in the beginning - it would not shift in either direction but then but pulling on the socket bar backwards - anti clockwise when looking at the car it became loose.
In a word yes
Long ago at secondary school one of the rural busses arrived very late. It transpired that the hulking sixth formers aboard had each contributed their strength to assist  the driver to change a wheel. So it became so tightly attached that they had to call out a mechanic.

It does not apply to Sevens but if the convention is to be mentioned it needs to be established with some certainty. It is always possible axle shafts had  been interchanged. I have always understood left thread on the left, but Google suggests it depends whether driven or driving and some cars may have a diagonal arrangement?? Can always take a close look at the thread!
The left hand thread is on the offside (UK, Oz etc) because, if you think about it, the drive would tend to undo a normal RH thread as it turns the wheel, whereas it locks the other one. Like a nut but inside out...
Colin