The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Austin Seven by Anita Jackson
(11-08-2017, 07:36 PM)squeak Wrote: It's an opportunist waiting for a victim Stuart. I have a copy and I doubt I paid more than 20 quid. I am away on the west coast of Ireland at the moment in the top hat, and can't look it up. I think it's large print.  cheers  Russell

Is there an event up there Russell? John
(11-08-2017, 09:20 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I have a copy of this Stuart - purely for the title.  Cost similar to above.

How is Ireland Squeak?

Expensive is the first impression, second is they speak an impossible dialect of english. The drivers in the UK and Ireland are more considerate and polite than those at home where its everyman for himself.  
Primrose is an instant hit with the locals, wherever we go we leave a trail of smiles. I'd be very wealthy if we had a dollar for every photo taken. 
Sadly the brakes didn't survive and the linings crumbled but I've refitted the old shoes and I'm sure they're not asbestos so will be OK.  We have done 4000 miles so far and as we were early back from Bantry Bay today I decided it was time for a second service. We carry oil  etc. and I booked into a local mechanic for this. The diff did not require any but the gearbox did. After greasing I gamely said I wanted a hot pressure wash of the engine, I covered up the maggy with plastic and carefully operated the gun myself'. Of course you know already that the engine refused to start, no ignition! 
I carry a rebuilt spare magneto ( the one  that came with the car failed the first week but I had Steve Marks in Hailsham rebuild it). 
We're up and running again minus a spare but I'm mystified, the maggy was not wet and I noticed one of the plug leads was missing a knob at the dist cap end although still remaining in place, and 2 of the spark plug top terminals were loose in the porcelain. The engine was not missing but running well, my theory is the likely increased resistance in the plug leads caused the malfunction and the pressure wash was a coincidence. 
On the removed maggy I will reset the points gap, 12 thou I think, cook it with a hairdryer, connect it up with spare plugs (20 thou ?) and leads, and run it up with a battery drill. If no joy I may require advice as to how to jury rig  a new condenser to an ML.
 OR  I may get another spare sent from home. 
                                                                   cheers  Russell

(12-08-2017, 04:32 PM)John L Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 07:36 PM)squeak Wrote: It's an opportunist waiting for a victim Stuart. I have a copy and I doubt I paid more than 20 quid. I am away on the west coast of Ireland at the moment in the top hat, and can't look it up. I think it's large print.  cheers  Russell

Is there an event up there Russell? John

Hi John, If you know of one let me know ,until then we are the event.  cheers  Russell
(12-08-2017, 11:30 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 09:49 AM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: Good morning all. Many thanks for the prompt replies, perhaps my £471.00p could be better spent on something  else.
Not a book to buy for its technical nor historic value then.
Regards from Staffordshire the creative county.
Stuart

Unless it's a very rare first edition published in 1920...
There is a similar book "The Little Car" by Leila Berg, a Young Puffin book, isbn : 0 14 03.0662; rather charming drawings feature a two seat tourer BGW338 first published 1955, published by Puffin in 1974