The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Wiring
I am still reeling from that dreadful photograph from Holland.....however my question could be relevant.
When did Austin stop putting wires in "armoured" cable protection? there seems to have been a period when the wires were simply routed, not encased in a cloth covered loom. From when to when? any information welcomed before I start re-wiring!
(09-12-2017, 06:10 PM)David.H Wrote: I am still reeling from that dreadful photograph from Holland.....however my question could be relevant.
When did Austin stop putting wires in "armoured" cable protection? there seems to have been a period when the wires were simply routed, not encased in a cloth covered loom. From when to when? any information welcomed before I start re-wiring!

My RP Saloon made in September 1933 had armoured cable fitted when new,so I replaced with new armoured cable.      I have seen a 1933 16/6 Berkeley with a cotton covered loom for the cables behind the dash ie to the light switch etc. The cables to the head/side lamps & rear/stop in armoured cable. So did the mk 1 Ruby have a cotton covered loom ?
Curiously, the Parts Lists don't itemise the wiring itself, but 1029B dated July 1934 refers to 'Clips for Cables', whilst 1218 dated November 1934 (ie Ruby) lists 'Clips for Harness', so it seems likely the cotton loom was introduced with the Ruby.
Thanks for that information. There is no sign of any armoured cable conduit (yet). Most of the wiring looks relatively "modern" (50/60's) with maybe pvc or rubber covering (fits with the "modernised" brakes & suspension).
I will probably go for flexible conduit.... I can see where the wires go & they don't wander about!
D
David.H By armoured cable, you sound like you're expecting a solid conduit?
The cable is rubber (or was originally) covered with a spiral wound aluminium wire over the top, no conduit.

See for example https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...ngle-cable
(10-12-2017, 05:28 PM)NickB Wrote: David.H By armoured cable, you sound like you're expecting a solid conduit?
The cable is rubber (or was originally)  covered with a spiral wound aluminium wire over the top, no conduit.

See for example  https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...ngle-cable
Sorry wrong terminology!
Definitely NOT solid conduits!
D
(09-12-2017, 06:10 PM)David.H Wrote: I am still reeling from that dreadful photograph from Holland.....however my question could be relevant.

I believe that the change from armoured cable to a loom happened at the end of 1934 ready for the 1935 season.
Hope that helps you.
(11-12-2017, 03:01 AM)Nick Turley Wrote:

I believe that the change from armoured cable to a loom happened at the end of 1934 ready for the 1935 season.
Hope that helps you.
Thanks...flexible conduit it is (will be!)
My Ruby has cotton covered loom (looks very old so it is original) car first registered Dec 1934