The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bowdenex question

Has anybody experience of fitting the Bowdenex conversion for front brake cables?

I dismantled everything many years ago and now trying to put it back together again.

The king pins are done, brakes back together with new linings, new bearings and all back together.

Now I come to re-fit the Bowdenex cables. At the backplate is a threaded hole through towards the brake shoes, and on the cable is an end support for the outer cable. This is threaded and screws into the hole in the backplate. To screw this in means revolving the whole cable assembly!!!!!!!!!   Is this really how it's done???

And then, should there be a nut on the other side of the backplate? If so, how do I gain access to put this nut on? Surely I don't have to dismantle the bearings/hub/brake shoes again just to put a nut on the end.
I had the same problem.

I freed the cable by cutting a slot in the top of the post, down to the hole, cut undersize and then filed out, so the inner can be released, whilst the outer is retained when all is set up.

I need to do the same at the other (chassis) end, too, but one end is enough to sort the asssembly out.

I can't remember if there is a nut on the inside, if the backplate is threaded I don't see why a locknut on the outside shouldn't be used, particularly as to get the cable fork in line with the lever, a lot of thread is showing, as in your picture.

Simon
As these kits were fitted by owners you are dealing with their own interpretation as to how they should be fitted. I see no reason for not simply drilling a clearance hole and putting a lock nut inside, this is how you have to install them with a semi grilling backplate as there is simply not enough metal to tap a thread.
Black Art Enthusiast
Ian,

Drilling a clearance hole and putting a nut on the back is an obvious good fix, but there is a good reason why not to do this. To get the nut on would seem to need removal of the hub and brake shoes. I'm asking "is this really necessary?
Obviously that is ultimately your call Andrew, I just know what I would do, in the greater scheme of things it is relatively quick and easy to remove a front hub.
Black Art Enthusiast
Andrew,

I have Bowdenex cables on my car and can send you any photos that may help you.

Matt  Shy
Andrew,

I'm sure best engineering practice will dictate a lock-nut preferably on the inside, but as long as the tapped thread in the back-plate is sufficiently strong, you cannot turn turn it without removing the cable first so it's not going anywhere ...
First day on the forum and I saw your post, Matt Harnden, regarding Bowdenex brakes. I am building a 2 seater from a box of 1934 Ruby parts - including what I understand to be a Bowdenex conversion for the front brakes. All I have is the cables with no idea how these cables are run. so your offer to supply a few photos of your installation and any useful tips would be hugely appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you ,

Dave
HI ANDREW,
Personally i would follow Ians advice drill a clearance hole and fit a lock nut, my reasoning is you will then lock the cable support  hard against the back plate at the right angle,
Re your question having to remove hub and bearings this will not be the first time when rebuilding a car that these things have to happen to make sure that you are using best practice and will give you peace of mind in the long run.
ONE THING you do need is Patience.

COLIN
NZ
Hi Dave, I fitted Bowdenex cables a couple of months back. Like yourself I only had the cables so had to make up the other parts which wasn't too difficult to do. Having read the mixed opinions on the conversion I wanted to make sure it could easily be put back to standard but on the limited testing I managed before lock down was pleased with the results. Happy to PM you any pictures that may help. In response to the earlier question I threaded the back plate, used a lock nut with lock tight and peened over the end of the stud lightly as I really didn't fancy the nut coming loose in the brake drum!