The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Another Broken up car??
(10-12-2017, 03:25 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: That's a strange one zero.

Daddy charlottes is a dealer in Kent.

He states the chassis is just right for putting an Ulster body onto it.

Then contradicts himself by stateing new rules about cars with incorect bodies are not insured.

The last time I checked austin never made a long wheel base Ulster.

Am I reading it right or Perhaps it's just me. Tony
Tony, don't you know there are Austin Seven models we just don't know about!
Are they unknown or just fake news Big Grin
(10-12-2017, 11:34 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Are they unknown or just fake news Big Grin

Fake news, Tony?  Surely not.  Our friend in Kent claimed last year that he had the complete set of Longbridge production records for the A7, so he must know!!!
I see the body for the original car in this thread has surfaced.

Looks like its been broken up as a wright off? I doubt the 8k or so insured value would cover mending that.
(13-12-2017, 07:02 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I see the body for the original car in this thread has surfaced.

Looks like its been broken up as a wright off? I doubt the 8k or so insured value would cover mending that.

Hedd, I agree, and if this is/was cat B salvage DVLA will not allow the car to be put back on the road, and the reg number and V5 will not be available.
I think we can let them off for breaking this one, in fact they would have no choice if Cat B salvage

(13-12-2017, 07:34 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(13-12-2017, 07:02 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I see the body for the original car in this thread has surfaced.

Hedd, I agree, and if this is/was cat B salvage DVLA will not allow the car to be put back on the road, and the reg number and V5 will not be available.
I think we can let them off for breaking this one, in fact they would have no choice if Cat B salvage

To clarify, this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-Seve...SwRbtaL8QN
Nothing wrong with that shell that couldn't be put right. Shame.
(13-12-2017, 08:09 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Nothing wrong with that shell that couldn't be put right. Shame.

Reckless, it could be put right, but not cost effective to do so.
I can quite see why it might be classed as a write-off by the insurance company, but there is no reason why it should have been rated as category B; even Category S (formerly known as Category C) can have a 'bent or twisted' chassis, and that damage doesn't look like it's resulted in much chassis damage at all.So there should be a good chance the chassis and registration number will survive - another long wheelbase Ulster, anyone?
On the Shrive cars website, it shows a chassis and a body. I find it difficult to believe the car was a complete write off. As parts, it may be worth more, but then, the car is lost.

Erich in cold and sunny Seattle
Were this a modern car with similar damage, it would undoubtedly be a write-off.  However, this car would appear to have become a total loss because the insurance company didn't understand what they were dealing with.

The sad thing is that anyone who knows anything about Austin Sevens would recognise that while the damage to the bodywork may look grim, it is not safety-critical.   As long as the chassis hadn't been distorted, repairs would be quite simple and would certainly cost far less than the value of the car.  Frustratingly, I actually have the secondhand panels to do the job if the originals were beyond straightening. 

This would make me think very seriously about the implications of making a claim for "mid range" accidental damage to any of my cars.