The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doug Woodrow Austin Seven Manual..
Tony - I recommend a listen to the inimitable Tom Lehrer singing 'New Math' in about 1965. It explains everything. This is just a taste of the opening lines:

Consider the following subtraction problem, which I will put up here: 342 - 173.

Now remember how we used to do that. Three from two is nine; carry the one, and if you're under 35 or went to a private school you say seven from three is six, but if you're over 35 and went to a public school you say eight from four is six; carry the one so we have 169, but in the new approach, as you know, the important thing is to understand what you're doing rather than to get the right answer. Here's how they do it now.

You can't take three from two,
Two is less than three,
So you look at the four in the tens place.
Now that's really four tens,
So you make it three tens,
Regroup, and you change a ten to ten ones,
And you add them to the two and get twelve,
And you take away three, that's nine.
Is that clear?

Etc etc

p.s. I could never follow it either! Big Grin
I use a calculator
You can get even better prices on some items, e.g.

Set of cylinder head flat washers £5.99 (cs 45p)
Drain tap £51.99 (£13.90)
Centre main lockwasher £4.99 (65p)
Spade key £4.99 (95p)
Set of brass manifold nuts £15.00 (£5.25)
Flywheel lockwasher £3.99 (35p)
Looking at a lot of these listings make's me suspect that the sellers go onto either Davids, Tonys or the 7 workshop sites, lift the pictures, put on 300%+ mark up and wait for some poor unsuspecting fool to buy. I doubt they hold stock but once they have a sale I suspect that they simply order the part and repackage it on, am I just a cynic and more to the point why should I or anyone else worry about it. Except we do because it is ripping people off!
Black Art Enthusiast
(08-12-2017, 08:19 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Looking at a lot of these listings make's me suspect that the sellers go onto either David's, Tony's or the 7 workshop sites, lift the pictures, put on 300%+ mark up and wait for some poor unsuspecting fool to buy. I doubt they hold stock but once they have a sale I suspect that they simply order the part and repackage it on, am I just a cynic and more to the point why should I or anyone else worry about it. Except we do because it is ripping people off!

I think that's spot on Ian, or as my Grandchildren say, +1

Steve
Totally agree Ian, but as the old saying goes a fool and his money are soon parted, E bay or a trip to a local auction house and you will see people bidding way over the odds for all sorts of stuff, caught up in the excitement of the bidding and not wanting to lose to others. The answer is know what the value of the item is and know how much you will be prepared to pay before you even think about bidding, a little bit of homework saves a lot of money in the long run.
(08-12-2017, 08:19 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Looking at a lot of these listings make's me suspect that the sellers go onto either Davids, Tonys or the 7 workshop sites, lift the pictures, put on 300%+ mark up and wait for some poor unsuspecting fool to buy. I doubt they hold stock but once they have a sale I suspect that they simply order the part and repackage it on, am I just a cynic and more to the point why should I or anyone else worry about it. Except we do because it is ripping people off!

Hi Ian,

Usually I see the worst in people. ( yep I know many are not surprised at that ).

well after so much going missing from the stall. What else would be expected.

But every now and then I hope for the best in people.

I've made, and had made. And sold. to you all for over 25 years now. And yes made a profit from it. ( don't get excited the profit isn't huge, not even big ).

But how big does it have to be, before the seller is ripping you all off.

I've always looked at it as being paid for providing a needed service.

My hope for These people selling at inflated prices is, rather than just making a quick buck now. that if they are selling anything. And making huge profits. It will inspire them to go on to make something in the future that's needed for the seven world. And supply a service.

Perhaps I should go back to being a pesamist.

Hi Ian,

I sell regularly on eBay.

And I've had people come back regular. Some of these ive told them who I am, and that it's cheaper to buy from me outside ebay.

But they won't do it??? They only buy on eBay.

I also had a customer who didn't mind paying double on eBay. Because she sold here unwanted stuff on eBay, the money sat in paypal. And rather than transfer it to the bank. She bought what she needed for the seven.

She didn't mind doing that, even though she knew it was costing her double.

So some are not being ripped off, that's how they prefer it ?

It takes all sorts.
What Tony forgot to mention is the investment our cherished suppliers have to make on the parts they sell and have manufactured, stock sitting on a shelf is dead money and without making a profit on the goods sold restocking would not be possible, not to mention overheads on staff, buildings and so on. We are lucky our suppliers have set prices on their goodies so we know were we stand,  auction sales are lead by what the customer is prepared to pay and the supplier has no input into the final price paid, although some of the starting prices mentioned in previous posts are excessive it is still up to the individual to shop around and make up their own mind.
I don't think anyone is criticising suppliers like Tony, David, Jamie ect, they provide the much needed parts and services to our community and like anyone in business are entitled to make a profit without which they would not exist. And yes I agree that a fool and his money are easily parted, I guess I just have a sense of fair play and justice, I hate to see the unsuspecting and inexperienced robbed, misled or otherwise, and don't feel that these opportunists do anything positive for any of us. Some of them may even be the self same thieving b******s who lift items from stall holders, or break cars simply for profit, to my mind it is sad that this is becoming more and more common place.
Black Art Enthusiast
It's not just parts, of course. I have a few motoring books which I have decided are surplus to requirements; I checked on eBay, and one in particular was available from several sellers, the cheapest of which was £40. Oh goody, I thought, I'll be happy with £20 ... and then I thought I would just check the Abe Books site. The cheapest there was £4.99 including postage!