The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was XU 1581?
(04-12-2017, 05:42 PM)austin Wrote: I assume you mean this one?

If so it was identified by Beatrice, later Tom Abernethy states as the info above. Happy to change it.

As it's one of the copy negs there is no info with it in regards to event / driver etc. that I found. Seems the details I have for that car are different all the way through it's history.

Great original photos though, I'm sure the ones of the dash would be of much interest to those trying to recreate / restore GE cars.

Yes, that's the one, Austin; I missed the comments below it, in which I see Tom more or less confirmed the Forestier-Walker id, so it looks like you can update the info, plus the location as being Madresfield Court (date June 1926 or 1927?). On second looking at the Facebook page, I think the other id is Mervyn Grey.
Can anybody work out what the item is below the foot bulge in the top picture?

Interesting also that there is absolutely no bulkhead whatsoever between the drivers compartment and engine, a feature I have also seen in another Brookland's picture.
Black Art Enthusiast
(04-12-2017, 11:32 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Can anybody work out what the item is below the foot bulge in the top picture?

Interesting also that there is absolutely no bulkhead whatsoever between the drivers compartment and engine, a feature I have also seen in another Brookland's picture.

Given the 6" brakes Ian, what about a vacuum servo?  cheers  Russell
(05-12-2017, 12:08 AM)squeak Wrote:
(04-12-2017, 11:32 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Can anybody work out what the item is below the foot bulge in the top picture?

Given the 6" brakes Ian, what about a vacuum servo?  cheers  Russell

Ian,

I'm inclined to think its something to do with the brakes, as this car would have originally had uncoupled brakes it may be a device to connect front and rear brakes together as it appears to have a lever pointing up and one down.  I presume that one lever is connected to the front and the other to the rear. Interestingly it appears to have no fairing fitted over the rear axles.

I believe that originally these didn't have a bulkhead between the cockpit and and engine, that is clear from the contemporary Motor Sport photos and this car is the same.

Cheers

Marcus
It is mounted just ahead of the front crossmember, I would have thought a device for coupling the brakes wound be under the car and central, there was a simple Bordello lever type attachment for the cross shaft form this period which did just that. I think Russell's idea is quite possible and the location would work, in-fact I think I have seen a period advertisement of just such a device for a seven but can not for the life of me think where. Any other suggestions??

The lack of fairing in a couple of pictures shows us how the rear spring/chassis cutaway on these early pre production cars worked and ties in very nicely with the pictures of the 1924 200 mile car. It seems that the later production Brookland's had somewhat wider body's so they may well be not quite the same in this area, all fascinating stuff to anoraks like me!
Black Art Enthusiast
Rob who has posted the photos is related to the driver it seems.

Rob has a 3 litre Bentley and a traction engine
(05-12-2017, 01:50 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: It is mounted just ahead of the front crossmember, I would have thought a device for coupling the brakes wound be under the car and central, there was a simple Bordello lever type attachment for the cross shaft form this period which did just that. I think Russell's idea is quite possible and the location would work, in-fact I think I have seen a period advertisement of just such a device for a seven but can not for the life of me think where. Any other suggestions??

Whitehead Vacuum-Servo? See page 431 of the Source Book.

The Bordello lever is shown also on Page 127.

Steve
(05-12-2017, 11:44 AM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Rob who has posted the photos is related to the driver it seems.

Rob has a 3 litre Bentley and a traction engine

Is he happy for us to copy and post them up Hedd?
... or better still, can we get them properly scanned?
(05-12-2017, 02:23 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: ... or better still, can we get them properly scanned?

What Mike said.

If he has an iPhone this app is brilliant for scanning photos quickly.

(I know it's not as good as a proper scan, but it takes about 15 seconds and is surprisingly good!)