The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric motor
There appears to be a clutch fitted between the motor and gearbox.   Would there have to be a system whereby power to the motor is cut whilst the clutch is operated?
I think I will stick to an Austin 7 engine for the time being!
My understanding is that with modern controllers, clutch and gearbox would not be needed. This motor looks huge, something much smaller and lighter would supply the power we are used to. Significant weight savings up front to allow for battery weight (which is reducing all the time).

I am advised by people younger than I that latest thinking might propose two motors one in each rear hub doing away with even more gubbins. Didn't grasp how this would work when it was explained to me, I just nodded.

Spend £3-5k and have an electric A7 but what would you listen to???
(06-12-2017, 04:30 PM)Michael Wrote: ... but what would you listen to???

The rattle of the pot-joint?  Big Grin
Fascinating! Does look like someone has put a considerable effort in.
I knew I could remember seeing something similar on the old forum LINK
Obviously the photobucket images are broken, but I found an 'add on' for googles 'chrome' browser which makes them visible again, and have saved them to repost here....

.jpg   austinscotland001_zpspxgtzfg5.jpg (Size: 163.84 KB / Downloads: 333)

.jpg   austinscotland002_zpscqgwwskm.jpg (Size: 223.14 KB / Downloads: 332)

.jpg   austinscotland003_zpsqvl8l5vg.jpg (Size: 226.87 KB / Downloads: 332)

.jpg   austinscotland004_zpstirjosjq.jpg (Size: 175.48 KB / Downloads: 331)

.jpg   austinscotland005_zpslbruopmy.jpg (Size: 197.56 KB / Downloads: 330)

.jpg   austinscotland006_zpseh0n6i03.jpg (Size: 234.97 KB / Downloads: 329)
(06-12-2017, 08:59 PM)Timothy P Wrote: Fascinating! Does look like someone has put a considerable effort in.

The old forum is back on because I have paid for a couple of months while I run all the crawling software to take a decent copy so I can try and move the content across to this forum in the new format. It will run out in about a month or two.
Timothy,

the photos were sent to me by a gentleman in Denmark - if you look closely you will see that the throttle is very short and a therefore a LHD car.

The car was a prop in a play and set up like this so that it could be driven on and off the stage. I don't think it was ever used on the road but who knows? The car has since been restored and has an Austin unit back under the bonnet.

Can you give us more details of the the add-on to overcome Photobucket, Austin did tell me a few weeks back that a fix had been developed, do either of you know if one exists for Safari please?
I remember the play prop car now, I think we were talking about the idea of an electric Chummy at the time. Can't be much heavier than a golf cart type thing and they have fairly decent range.

I don't think you can get "plug ins" for Safari. The "fix" works by changing the "headers" on the request so it fools the Photobucket site into thinking the request is coming from the site itself rather than via another website.

You can run Chrome on a Mac, (it's my browser of choice on Macs) extension is here.
Thanks - I will look at that, much appreciated.

Hope the scrape is going well!
(06-12-2017, 09:23 PM)austin Wrote:
(06-12-2017, 08:59 PM)Timothy P Wrote: Fascinating! Does look like someone has put a considerable effort in.

The old forum is back on because I have paid for a couple of months while I run all the crawling software to take a decent copy so I can try and move the content across to this forum in the new format. It will run out in about a month or two.

That is great to hear Austin, really appreciate it. I think everyone on the forum will owe you a beer when it's done!

(06-12-2017, 10:05 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Timothy,

the photos were sent to me by a gentleman in Denmark - if you look closely you will see that the throttle is very short and a therefore a LHD car.

The car was a prop in a play and set up like this so that it could be driven on and off the stage.  I don't think it was ever used on the road but who knows?  The car has since been restored and has an Austin unit back under the bonnet.

Can you give us more details of the the add-on to overcome Photobucket, Austin did tell me a few weeks back that a fix had been developed, do either of you know if one exists for Safari please?

Brilliant stuff, great to hear how it came to be like that. What a fun little project putting that together.

Austin's link for the fix is the same one I used, very pleasing to see the photos again. Not sure on anything for other browsers though i'm afraid.
(06-12-2017, 09:09 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Earlier this year, on the Yorkshire Experience, well known Austineer Chris Parkhurst showed off his electric-powered TC.

I think he is due for release any day soon - plugging an MG into a Tesla charging point is apparently frowned upon in those parts.

Due for release?  Is this a mistake ( I don't mean releasing him) I didn't realize that plugging in an MG was such a dire offence in Yorkshire.

Charles