The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair?
Not long ago I acquired a couple of 4-speed crash gearboxes, one of which had a fabric-joint propshaft still attached. The trunnion end is badly corroded, but being from a lwb car the shaft could easily be shortened for use in a swb. The block on the end which houses the pin would have to be rebuilt though. I can imagine several ways one might go about this but have doubts about strength / durability. Does anyone have practical experience of 're-making' the lump on the tail end of the propshaft?
(22-11-2017, 11:18 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Not long ago I acquired a couple of 4-speed crash gearboxes, one of which had a fabric-joint propshaft still attached. The trunnion end is badly corroded, but being from a lwb car the shaft could easily be shortened for use in a swb. The block on the end which houses the pin would have to be rebuilt though. I can imagine several ways one might go about this but have doubts about strength / durability. Does anyone have practical experience of 're-making' the lump on the tail end of the propshaft?

There must be a few tailshafts about - why try ? Given the drive loads I would think the 
pot joint would be very difficult to repair well.

Cheers, Tony.
The 'why' is very simple Tony - I don't want to toss another original Austin Seven part in the hedge if it is known that this can be fixed...
(23-11-2017, 11:20 AM)Chris KC Wrote: The 'why' is very simple Tony - I don't want to toss another original Austin Seven part in the hedge if it is known that this can be fixed...

I appreciate your commitment to conservation but with a whirling steel bar under the seat I would want to be sure it was solid as designed.

Cheers, Tony.
(23-11-2017, 10:23 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(23-11-2017, 11:20 AM)Chris KC Wrote: The 'why' is very simple Tony - I don't want to toss another original Austin Seven part in the hedge if it is known that this can be fixed...

I appreciate your commitment to conservation but with a whirling steel bar under the seat I would want to be sure it was solid as designed.

Cheers, Tony.

Yes, hence my query
And also why I've fitted an A7 Components Hardy-Spicer shaft.
Much less vibration as well, vibro-massage through the seat gone!
Jim
(24-11-2017, 02:28 PM)AustinWood Wrote: And also why I've fitted an A7 Components Hardy-Spicer shaft.

I second that recommendation - great bit of kit.
(24-11-2017, 02:45 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
(24-11-2017, 02:28 PM)AustinWood Wrote: And also why I've fitted an A7 Components Hardy-Spicer shaft.

I second that recommendation - great bit of kit.

And I third it!! About the best positive change you can make to any Austin 7 is to change to a Hardy Spicer propshaft. As well as being much smoother in operation, it actually makes the car go faster as you no longer back off as it tries to shake itself to bits at about 42mph Big Grin

Steve
All the above understood and appreciated gents - indeed I have had a (shortened) Hardy Spicer shaft in my own car for many years.
Some of you guys must have very worn joints!

I've run numerous short-chassis cars over the last fifty years ranging from newly rebuilt to very, very worn out, and have never had a vibration problem like that. Oh, what have I missed  Huh