The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lights on a moving vehicle
(18-11-2017, 04:29 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote: Richard.

My understanding of the lighting regs is that pre a certain date the wattage requirements does not apply.

On my 1915 traction engine provided I display two 'white' lights to the front, two reds to the rear I am 100% legal. Even whe  they are provided by paraffin wick lampa

I'm certainly with Hedd Jones understanding re low wattage and the advantages of LED are impressive -- easier to be seen, drive with full lights on on dull days, keep your six volt Dynamo for originality and give it a holiday by reducing output.
Not sure, however, about flashing lights on back of car unless you're part of a Christmas parade ( sorry Nick) especially a flashing triangle which could attract the wrong sort of attention.
I'll stick with my modest reflective triangle despite the letter of the law and in six years of motoring since I fitted it, in uk and abroad, the Opal has never been stopped for this reason.

Charles
I let the chap at Briteangle know that the collective wisdom is that the illuminated triangle would not be legal on a moving vehicle - and I had an interesting response which is as follows.  The links are worth reading and perhaps open up the question again. (BTW Charles, I am not advocating use of the triangle all the time but I certainly think there are some circumstances (e.g.motorway at night) where it could be very useful. Christmas comes round far too frequently for me to want to do anything to perpetuate it in any way, shape or form!).

-----------------------------------

Good morning Nick

I have been having a similar email conversation with a member of an A7 owners club and have asked a contact within the police force for his advice.

After long consideration and research below is a part if his reply;

'This is a difficult one.
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, does make certain exemptions for vehicles registered before the 1stJanuary 1947, in relation to rear obligatory lamps.  But common sense needs to prevail when it comes to using these vehicles on a road.  Even though they may be used, there still needs to be a degree of driving with due consideration for other road users, especially at night. 
The use of a warning beacon would be permitted under the legislation (Reg.12 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/...on/12/made) and would be allowed to be a flashing beacon (Reg 13 exemption - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/...on/13/made ).

So using one of your briteangle  beacons would be an excellent choice, as well as being a good safety measure.'

I have included the links for clarification. 

During the show we sold units to people who were planning to use the Briteangle for uses other than breakdowns, these included farmers who are going to attach the Briteangle to back of agricultural equipment whilst being towed as well as attaching to back of trailers carrying large amount of Hay.

One lady is planning to attach the Briteangle to the back of her classic car (I think this was an Austin), she has already stuck on a small fluorescent triangle and will use the Briteangle alongside this.
I always thought the triangular reflector was for exclusive use on trailers, but those links would appear to allow both the triangular form and the flashing light so long as they are considered as a 'warning beacon or warning lamp' - sounds like common sense can prevail!
(18-11-2017, 04:29 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote: Richard.

My understanding of the lighting regs is that pre a certain date the wattage requirements does not apply.

On my 1915 traction engine provided I display two 'white' lights to the front, two reds to the rear I am 100% legal. Even whe  they are provided by paraffin wick lampa

Hedd You are quite correct the Regulations specify dates and vehicle types to which some of the Regulations do not apply , but as far as I can see they do not apply to the lighting requirements on A7s.
I can find exemption dates on all the lights anyone need worry about with respect to wattages. None of the dates need worry Austin 7 owners.
I notice that most council HGVs including their dust bin wagons, a lot of HGVs and countless other vehicles have a pair of yellow flashing LEDs front and rear. They are a bit like his viz jackets, now almost everybody wears them.
(20-11-2017, 11:01 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: I notice that most council HGVs including their dust bin wagons, a lot of HGVs and countless other vehicles have a pair of yellow flashing LEDs front and rear. They are a bit like his viz jackets, now almost everybody wears them.

........ and nobody notices them either !
I shouldn't think the Police would bother so long as you have 4 working lights, I'm amazed at how many moderns (about 5%) have defective headlights, stop lights or tail lights.