The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flexible coupling fouls handbrake mount
(05-05-2018, 07:02 AM)JonE Wrote: thanks. So 93 to be made to same shape as here?
By the way, does 86 have any function in adjustment, or is it just as fastener?

The outer end of 93 is the brake lever stop. Wear in the brake pivots and the end here cause the brake adjusting screw to hit the coupling bolts- solution pull the handbrake on a notch to stop the clicking !

The shaped end on the screw 86 fits into the vertical slot on the gear lever ball (just visible in the picture) and holds the lever in position (otherwise it would just rotate uselessly around the ball)

The screw end and the ball slot are usually quite worn allowing the gear lever too much free movement. 

Cheers, Tony.
ok, so my stop is like the end of a lump hammer with no prongy bit. But the handbrake release limit appears to be set by touching the mechanism lower down/centrally.

Can anyone give pointers as to what is original and what is not, as I'm not entirely sure.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jon, the mounting in your picture is home made, from a bolt by the looks of it, this will allow the handbrake to go too far forward, your cable adjuster is home made also. I will take a picture of the correct mounting for you once I get out to the garage, however you should be able to find an illustration in parts list 670b, item BK 21 and BK 38 on page 36.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks Ian.
So presumably it's unlikely I'll find a remanufactured pivot? I've emailed John Barlow...

Is the most crucial thing the length to the stop on an original? Or rather, the minimum. (I'm presuming if the bolt thread was longer, this one would potentially be workable)
(06-05-2018, 10:14 PM)JonE Wrote: Thanks Ian.
So presumably it's unlikely I'll find a remanufactured pivot? I've emailed John Barlow...

Is the most crucial thing the length to the stop on an original? Or rather, the minimum. (I'm presuming if the bolt thread was longer, this one would potentially be workable)

The whole assembly looks very home made- the end 'spacer' should be a small cylinder allowing full ratchet travel. On yours the handbrake movement seems limited. There are two ratchet lengths as well but memory fails me here.

I would search for a complete secondhand assembly and start again.

The pivots are usually well worn as well. which limits handbrake travel.

Cheers, Tony.
Here you go Jon, I have photographed the ratchet pawl alongside a shorter later example for comparison. 

.jpg   DSC06426.JPG (Size: 243.84 KB / Downloads: 183)

.jpg   DSC06427.JPG (Size: 233.55 KB / Downloads: 180)

.jpg   DSC06428.JPG (Size: 293.54 KB / Downloads: 181)

.jpg   DSC06429.JPG (Size: 227.06 KB / Downloads: 179)
Black Art Enthusiast
thanks both. So it may be the ratchet is a shorter one too.
I'll start the search for another set.

The brass bit doesn't actually look like the one in the parts list... were there a number of variants?
The brass bit is a reproduction, but that said it is pretty accurate in shape and I have not seen any variation.
Black Art Enthusiast
(07-05-2018, 07:50 AM)JonE Wrote: thanks both. So it may be the ratchet is a shorter one too.
I'll start the search for another set.

You don't have to search very far - see BK25 here.