The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flexible coupling fouls handbrake mount
Aware of vibration and tapping sound from region of the propshaft/handbrake I started the investigation today. All my other 7s have Hardy Spicer propshafts so this is new territory for me.

The heads of the bolts on the flexible coupling are just striking the handbrake ratchet plates where they protrude a couple of mm forward of the top of the handbrake mounting (marked A in the second photo).

The flexible coupling looks like it has had it to me. Do the assembled company concur? Would a new one be more rigid and hold the bolt heads further away from the handbrake mount?

Meanwhile things do not look right at points B and C. The roller at the base of the handbrake only just makes contact with the pivot at B - which looks to me as if it is bent toward the centre of the car. Or is that how it is meant to be?

At C you can just see where it looks as if the shaft has some sort of 'stop' that is split open.  Has a previous owner been guilty of some bodgery/brutality? How should these parts align?

I can't really answer for the coupling, except to say that your one looks 'home made' to me. And to assure you that Hardy Spicer couplings can foul the handbrake too!

'C' looks like the zinc bushing to me, and fairly normal.

Chris
Your fabric coupling is breaking up Nick - replace it with a new one and the problem should cease.
(16-11-2017, 04:25 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Your fabric coupling is breaking up Nick - replace it with a new one and the problem should cease.

I agree with Ruairidh.  I had this problem on the RP last year and a change of coupling cured it immediately.
Thanks all. New coupling on order.
Mine was the same. Turned out the back mounting holes in the crank case were very worn. Bushed them back to correct size-now all ok.
Kevin
i hope you know that the nut for the front brake lever cotter pin is missing Nick.
(20-11-2017, 11:03 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: i hope you know that the nut for the front brake lever cotter pin is missing Nick.

Thanks Dave - I took it off, so yes I do know. (Unlike the rear spring pin cotter nuts that were entirely missing. I do marvel at some of the delights Previous Owners leave for the unwary!)
(20-11-2017, 11:49 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Unlike the rear spring pin cotter nuts that were entirely missing.

Common place 30 years ago when supplies ran low and not entirely insensible as the spring pins are very unlikely to come out all the way due to the damper arms. Many times I have cursed their existence, when unable to remove them!!
All sorted. The new coupling has pulled everything back into shape and given a few mm gap between bolt head and handbrake. Thanks to all for advice.

For the benefit of anyone else, here's pics to show differences.

.jpg   P1090221sm.jpg (Size: 232.22 KB / Downloads: 513)