The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Value of Engine Balancing
Just an idea,
You should have the rod perfectly level through its eyes to balance. ( Adjust the height of the scales to suit )
I have heard of hanging the rod on a bit of button thread to balance.
Most electronic kitchen scales do not have the required resolution. ( an lab balance is very accurate 0.01 g resolution )
A very thin rod through the small end / big end will give almost zero friction.
I quite agree Ray but a scale designed to weigh out flour and carrots is going to be both inaccurate and inconsistent at this level.
It seems persons are working to tolerances closer than was/is customary for high revving production cars. The heading is "Value" which suggests a consideration of effect vs time or expense.
Hi All

Thanks for the feedback.  I’ve ordered some jewellers scales and will check the readings more carefully.  I like the idea of additional washers under the big end bolts but I’d need a few to make up the 12 grams difference.

Cheers

Howard
(24-01-2020, 01:13 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: It seems persons are working to tolerances closer than was/is customary for high revving production cars. The heading is "Value" which suggests a consideration of effect vs time or expense.
It's difficult to say how much is enough Bob, but I've never met anyone who regretted making an effort. With nearly half an ounce difference there's certainly some scope for improvement.
The actual weights measured are not that important. The difference between the rods is. So long as the readings are repeatable the actual accuracy doesn't matter.
Jim
Hi Folks,
My point about most kitchen scales is that they are not accurate enough to be repeatable but they will be within a gram or two.
It depends on how accurate you want to be.