The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What is this?
        Hi everyone , excuse the question but being new to Sevens! The question is what is the valve in the photo for/ do? Where the hole is the outer turns to either close or open the hole, however the outer turns to the open position on it's own and leaks oil. Should it do this or not. Looking at photos of other engines I have not seen one like this. Help appreciated, thanks.
(15-11-2017, 11:49 AM)Rubbledog Wrote: Hi everyone , excuse the question but being new to Sevens! The question is what is the valve in the photo for/ do? Where the hole is the outer turns to either close or open the hole, however the outer turns to the open position on it's own and leaks oil. Should it do this or not. Looking at photos of other engines I have not seen one like this. Help appreciated, thanks.

Looks like a device to ensure oil from the timing gears gets sprayed onto the exhaust manifold or not depending on whether it's open or closed!! Maybe a previous owner was addicted to the smell of burning oil. 

Maybe someone's idea of an engine breather? If so, brilliant place to put it - not!!

Steve
I hesitate to criticise, having no clue what was in the mind of its creator - but I'm pretty sure it could be blanked off (like every other 7 in my aquaintance) without detriment.
Just to clarify, the front with the name on it can be rotated to close the hole off, but it falls back to the open position on its own, I am happy to remove and block it off if that's ok. On another note the engine has a finned aluminium sump fitted, large capacity I think, what will be the oil capacity of this as the dipstick can be pushed all the way down to the loop on the end even though it's loose in this position and I think it should be further up where it is a tighter fit. Thanks again.
Have you tried removing the plate and taking a peek inside? Just curious.

Re the deep sump, mine will take 6 pints. It's fine for the dipstick to go all the way down but it shouldn't be loose.
Assuming you have an engine with a forward facing starter motor, the correct dip stick has a loop and it should be pushed down to that loop. If it's loose, it can be 'sprung' open slightly to tighten it up slightly. No A7 dipstick can be considered particularly tight in its hole though. Your breather thing or whatever it is is not a standard part and needs removing. You then need either a new cover without the hole it shouldn't have or you need to seal the existing hole up.

Steve
Hi Chris
I have removed the cover and there is just a nut holding the "valve" on.looks like I need to take it off again and remove it.
Thanks for the reply.
Hello Steve
I would suggest a new cover and not blank it off with a nut and bolt.
A nut in this position is just asking for trouble!
Adrian.
(16-11-2017, 01:39 PM)Adrian Payne Wrote: Hello Steve
I would suggest a new cover and not blank it off with a nut and bolt.
A nut in this position is just asking for trouble!
Adrian.

Agree - I think replacement covers are not hard to come by.