The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radius arm thread
(02-11-2017, 11:13 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Good to see my memory is not all gone to pot David - can you answer the question about Whitworth form for me please?

Stuart has given a very comprehensive & erudite answer! I always understood that the 'admiralty' threads had a Whitworth tooth form, but I am willing to be corrected.
Thanks Stuart, very helpful - I got myself into a right fankle there!

Alastair - looks like had found exactly what you needed, not as rare as I'd believed!
Thanks as well David.
Thanks everyone! I'll be in touch David.
Has anyone ever compiled a list of all the various threads used on the 7?

Alastair
Your Club site has the details here Alastair: http://www.austin7.org/Data%20Pages/Tech%20Data/
Hanging head in shame! Our local group the Unstoppables, awarded me the annual Pratt trophy (a somewhat less than concours Pratts can, suitably mounted) at our pre-Christmas do the other day for transgressions during the past year, and this is further justification... It was the third year running and I must further admit I nominated myself this time, having gone to the wrong pub for the do.
At least we've resolved the die problem!
Thanks again everyone,.
Alastair
For the radius arm threads,and others on the car it might be worth investing in a BSW/BSF thread restoring file.Cromwell tools for example sell one to clean up  8 different pitch internal and external threads for £21.Usually the radius arm threads get bruised when knocking them out of the axle and with a thread file its easier to pick up/dress the damage than trying to get a die to start and stay in pitch when threading.
I used a thread restoring file by Sykes Pickavant from ebay - which probably means I have a more casual approach to thread form etc. 

Does that make me a bad person?
(03-11-2017, 01:58 PM)Amilcar John Wrote: I used a thread restoring file by Sykes Pickavant from ebay - which probably means I have a more casual approach to thread form etc. 

Does that make me a bad person?

Personally I think that you would be a better person if you'd got one from me Big Grin 
(BT940 here)
According to Newnes Engineer's Reference Book (sixth edition 1954)

Admiralty fine thread (Obsolete)   Whitworth Form)  5/8 is 20 Tpi. 

British Standard Whitworth 55 degree angle 5/8 is 11 Tpi. (Whitworth form threads).

British Standard Fine 55 degree 5/8 is 14 Tpi. (Whitworth form threads)

So it seems we have established that the Herbert Austin threads were 5/8 16 Tpi (with a Whitworth 55 degree form ???)(that is with rounded tops and bottoms to the threads).

BSW, BSF and now Perhaps we could have HAT (Herbert Austin Thread)  Big Grin