The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinchbolt Steering Wheel
Does anyone know what size the bore of a pinchbolt steering wheel is? I only have one and I don't want to take it off yet. 
Thanks
Alan
7/8" I believe Alan
Black Art Enthusiast
Ian believes correctly - they are 7/8"
Be careful with these - they can break around the area where the bolt goes through.

David
Yes I agree David I have seen a few broken, I believe it is where the wheel has worked loose and over time enlarged the hole on the boss, owners then in a vain attempt to cure the problem over tighten the clamping bolt resulting in the boss cracking. Welding, sleeving, and re-machining are solution's, what other ingenious fixes have other's come up with
Black Art Enthusiast
I had to repair my steering on a campsite in the Picos mountains two summers ago - the wheel had begun to slide slightly on full lock and I initially thought the box had a serious problem.

Once I discovered the cause was actually the clamp bolt slot in the top of the steering column too enlarged (not the steering wheel), I resolved the issue by drinking a can of ice cold beer (it was 39°c) and then used it to make a shim around the centre of the bolt.

It has held tight ever since.
Thanks, plan is to modify a later column to use a dished wheel. Will consider tinned beer - how many cans does it need?
How long is a piece of string!
(02-11-2017, 11:26 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: How long is a piece of string!

3 or 4
Sounds perfect - if I leave now I should be in time for an early breakfast, leave the porch light on.